Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,849   Online: 863

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

LF Photography and companions

When I was shooting medium format, I took my father along on a short jaunt. When we returned, he announced it was about as interesting as watching paint peal.

My wife loves to travel with me and is content to sit in the car reading a book or magazine while I shoot. My problem is, I can't ignore the fact that she is there an I hesitate to wait for that one fluffy cloud to obscure the blazing sun just long enough to get the contrast range I am hoping for - so I rush the shot and walk away frustrated.

I have reached the opinion that to be an LF photographer, one must be self-centered enough to ignore the physical needs and comforts of loved ones -subordinating their needs to the need of silver halides. So what does that say about me?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My wife is also happy to sit and read while I'm waiting for the cloud to move, and if I wasn't shooting, she'd still sit and read wherever we were, since that's what she likes to do, so I have no problem waiting for the cloud to move and neither does she.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Maybe you need to carry a book, like one of Ansel's? But I understand where your coming from. I think it's just a loner's art; Unless you have a model.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "Daddy will only be a minute", (piercing gaze, dripping with sarcastic inflection, combined with a tapping of the foot) oft quoted by my wife. You have realized your addiction is hurting others and you must make amends. Let me know what you come up with, I could use it. I pretty much travel alone now or with a co-conspirator in LF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife, a painter and an excellent photographer, knows full well that if a cloud need be waited for there's nothing else to do but wait. She will either join me with her camera, or do whatever she's prepared herself to do while I take the requisite time. The problem, therefore, is me! I can't let myself ignore the fact that she may end up on hold for longer than I can allow myself to feel comfortable. Scotch would help, but, of course, that can mess up the shot and create a dicey driving situation as well. So....more often, it comes down to companionless photography ...not what I'd most prefer, but, sometimes, the only considerate thing to do.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it is obvious that your companion(s) should have a compatible activity. My wife and I often photograph on the same trip, and invariably with different formats and different interests - even stood side by side and looking the same way the results bear little resemblance.

The main thing is we each understand the needs of the other and have a compatible sense of time. We also share some interest in the same terrain. But I have worked alone when it seemed best, just as she has.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaughn
    When I was shooting medium format, I took my father along on a short jaunt. When we returned, he announced it was about as interesting as watching paint peal.

My wife loves to travel with me and is content to sit in the car reading a book or magazine while I shoot. My problem is, I can't ignore the fact that she is there an I hesitate to wait for that one fluffy cloud to obscure the blazing sun just long enough to get the contrast range I am hoping for - so I rush the shot and walk away frustrated.

I have reached the opinion that to be an LF photographer, one must be self-centered enough to ignore the physical needs and comforts of loved ones -subordinating their needs to the need of silver halides. So what does that say about me?
    Nah just leave them at home where they will be more comfortable. If they want to come along tell them exactly what they are in for, then they can't complain while you wait for that cloud or wind to stop.

Of course if you take this advice you are obligated to go out without your big camera on occasion and put their needs first. Kind of fun at times.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm not married, so I just go wherever the whim takes me.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I'm not married, so I just go wherever the whim takes me.
    He he he...just wait guys...in couple years he'll be lamenting, "I'm married, so I just go wherever the Wife takes me".

My Wife is patient and happy to wait, it's the 4 year old who needs to keep moving.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My wife, just grabs her gear and heads on out with me, by time its said and done, normally I am looking for here as she is taking pictures of tree, flowers or rocks....

Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin