Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,684   Online: 1108

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Copal 3 problem?

I picked up a lens on FeeBay and I think there's a problem. It's in a Copal 3 shutter. The front element wobbles a bit and as I look at the shutter I see that the timing ring is where the wobble occurs. If I gently pull on the front element the entire front and timing ring move about 1/32" in and out.

Cheap fix or should I quickly return it?

-Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ask Carol Miller's advice on this one.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    If the front element wobbles and it's firmly threaded into the shutter body, that doesn't sound too good! This could mean that the two halves of the shutter have loosened by themselves, or the shutter has possibly had an accident causing the screws to loosen. Or due to an accident something was bent and binding inside and the fix was to loosen the shutter... If just the timing ring wobbles the fix could be simply to tighten the ring that holds it on, although this is another indication that the shutter may have been taken apart... I'd be sending it back unless you got it cheap enough to take a risk on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just corrected a similar problem with an older black / chrome Copal 0. My newer
    Copal 3 seems to be of a little different construction. I'll describe the procedure
    in hope that it is of any help. If I remember right it goes like this:

1. Open the aperture and the shutter blades so you don't accidentally damage them.

2. Unscrew the three small screws in the back of the shutter.

3. Lift off the ring retaining the aperture control ring.

4. Lift off the aperture control ring.

5. Unscrew the screw that limits the movement of the shutter opening lever and the three
    screws that hold the shutter opening ring.

6. Lift off the shutter opening ring. There is a small loose leaf spring that has a knob
    which fits to two notches in the ring to hold it in open / closed positions. Note its
    position. It isn't hard to figure out though.

7. Under the ring are three screws that hold the shutter halves together. Tighten them.

Reassemble in reverse order. I spent a little time figuring out how to put back the
    shutter opening ring / lever. You need to get the arm that operates the shutter to
    fit to a matching slot in an arm inside the shutter. I used a small screwdriver to turn
    the latter to the right position.

So, it's doable but requires a little courage and nerves.

- T

P.S. Be careful with the screws, they are all really short and get lost easily.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I do appreciate the help, but it appears that this shutter is different.

- I removed the two screws that attach the aperture control ring and removed the ring and delrin washer beneath it.

- I can find no other screws to remove. I'm stumped.

If anyone knows how to disassemble this shutter, I'm all ears.

-Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PM Carol Flutot
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Tom, will do.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin