Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,703   Online: 918

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

filter for a super symmar

I currently have a Sinaron 300mm lens with a filter diameter of 86mm and I need to buy some filters.

I also plan to adquire a Super Symmar 110 XL or a Super Symar 80 XL. Both of them have a diameter of 67mm but, with the center filter, the outside diameter is 86mm (same than the Sinaron 300mm).

So I want to buy filters valid for both lenses, the Sinaron and the Super Symmar.

My doubt is if with the super symmar, I can use a normal 86mm filter instaled over the center filter or if it has to be an extra wide one (I think that extra wide is necessary if it's instaled directly over the lens, but not if it's instaled over the center filter, but I wanted to confirm that).

Thanks for your time,
    Josep

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What format?

I've used both with a 77mm Heliopan warm tone polarizer which is a very thick filter without problems on 4x5, so I'd suspect a regular 86mm filter would work fine for 4x5. if you're going to use the 110mm on 8x10 or the 80mm on 5x7, I think the thin filters would be prudent. That same 77mm step up and Heliopan when used with the 110mm on 8x10 gives me nice round pictures.

Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sorry, I forgot to comment that I'm shooting 4x5 format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd consider a regular 67mm-86mm step up ring. I doubt there's a need for the center filter for either of these lenses on 4x5, especially the 110mm. IMO, the center filter will cut your effective film speed too much for general use, especially with stronger B&W filters or a polarizer. If you're using 100 speed film, cutting the EI 4-5 stops (center filter plus strong B&W or polarizer) will make life difficult for at best and impossible at times.

Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley
    I doubt there's a need for the center filter for either of these lenses on 4x5, especially the 110mm.
    I think that would depend upon what you are shooting - B&W or color transparencies. There is a light loss of about 1 1/2 stops on these lenses, which can be much more noticeable when shooting Velvia. FWIW, I have the 80mm XL lens.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't think there is a 67mm-86mm step up ring available. Of course, you could use two step-ups in series, but that might cause problems with vignetting.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin