Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,819   Online: 1158

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by panchromatic
    i'm always amazed at the great responces I get from this site, especally in remarkable time!

Thank you for the tips in cleaning and such, it could possibly the original GG since it does not have the grid. Now that I think of it, a grid would be a nice thing to have. With this camera on my tripod I don't have a level and it would be great to make sure your horizon something dominant is vertical. I also imagine it would be great if your trying to correct perspective if you have converging lines.

Dave,
    I notice you do not offer the option to have a grid put on at time of cutting, but that I would have to do it afterwards. Do you plan on offering this service in the not so distant future? I really like the idea of having a spare gg so i'll order one soon enough, though if you plan on offering a grid service then I will wait for that

Thank you again!

Currently Ryan,

No I do not plan on offering grids, that is why we have put up the grid templates and a couple of ideas to use them, the problem is, the cost involved in setting up the gridding, people don't want to pay the extra for, myself personally have always used a pencil and a ruler to add grids to my glass when I needed them, but as a landscape type photographer, don't need them very often.

To add a gridding option would just about double the cost of the screens, I am working on a couple of different ideas, but very seriously doubt I would add that option anytime soon.

Thanks again, good luck with your new camera.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    would that be large-format good advice number 154?

Matt
    I think we're up to #134 now.

I agree with Dave on just penciling in the grid lines. That way you can have whatever lines you need and if you use rollfilm holders, you can customize the marks exactly to your rollfilm holder. They all seem to be a little different from each other (like Linhof's 6x7 is a little larger than Graflex's 6x7, for instance).

If you have a camera with asymmetric tilts, though, you want the manufacturer's grid lines, since they also tell you where the tilt and swing axes are.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now I've read absolutely nothing but fantastic reviews and feedback regarding satinsnows gg. Now as a recent father to a 4x5, when does one need a new gg? (with the exception of a broken one) What are the characteristics of poor gg?

I seem to be at a loss. The one I have in my crown graphic i just cleaned, and when under a darkcloth(homemade) its bright, except when i stop way done, then its hard to see.

Ryan,

As someone else who just joined the LF crowd, I bought a pair of Satinsnow gg's (should have them any day now). I had just basically read what everyone else said about them. The way I figure it, it just eliminates one excuse for a bad shot.

g

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ggriffi
    The way I figure it, it just eliminates one excuse for a bad shot.

g
    I like that
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Gim

I have received my satinsnow gg and will replace the one I have because it is a better glass. I have always read that you should have a spare gg because they can and will break, especially when you need them the most. For the price of Dave's gg you can't go wrong. Think about it at the end of the long trail and your glass is broken. With what we have invested in money and time, use the satinsnow and your current glass as a spare.
    jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like that
    Heck, I have good ground glass and still can't take a good picture!!!!!

Dave

Gim

Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Heck, I have good ground glass and still can't take a good picture!!!!!

Dave
    Its the journey

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I do up my grid lines on the computer and copy them to "transparency film" (like for overhead projectors) then fit it over the ground glass. Got a whole bunch with different patterns.

After using SatinSnow, I have been in the habit of putting SS in a camera when I get it and keeping the origional glass as a spare.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    in all my years of largeformat I personally have never broken a ground glass. I had a roommate years ago break one of mine but he ground a piece of glass for me. This is like over 30 years ago.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    My experience is the same as Lee's...I have never broken one in my life...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin