Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,325   Online: 906

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

LF Portrait Bokeh Okeh Dokeh! 15" Bausch & Lomb Projection Petzval f4.5

Last week I had the distinct privilege to attend the Bruce Barnbaum / Jay Dusard / Yousef Khanfar "Open Country Workshop" in Flagstaff AZ.

While others were behaving properly and making fine art B&W landscape photographs I seized an opportunity to make a couple of portraits with the venerable Kodak 2D. I continue to explore the unique "looks" that different antique lenses can provide. These 3 were done with a giant 15" f4.5 B&L Magic Lantern lens that set me back a whopping $56 bucks.

These are approaching a similar look as the "Texas Tintype" pictures (with appropriate appologies to Robb Kendrick).

Let me know what you think.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    WOW. I think I can smell their aftershave...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    While others were behaving properly and making fine art B&W landscape photographs I seized an opportunity to make a couple of portraits with the venerable Kodak 2D.
    Jim,
    I'm sick and tired seeing these great shots from your bargain finds. Please post some pix of images from lenses that you used your mortage money for. I myself, probably can't find any of those lenses where I live although, that is my style of shooting. I love my 85mm Rokkor wide open and my Portragan and my Holga and my Dianas.

I need to find one of these bad boy lenses. I'm awaiting with baded breath for my 8x10 to come from those Seattle Woodworkers. I think they are sniffing too much benzene or something

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    WOW! All I can say is...WOW. Those are stunning. All three are fantastic but, I think I like the middle one the best. Thanks Jim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim,

Excellent as always

But, you really should have shot more. It's a pity there are only three shots.

Regards,

Denis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You're driving me nuts. Please tell me more about the technical things, like are you shooting with a packard shutter or your wristwatch and a lens cap?

Also, thanks for the tip last week. Unfortunatly I got so busy I missed it.

Alan.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    I'm sick and tired seeing these great shots from your bargain finds. Please post some pix of images from lenses that you used your mortage money for.
    Actually, it slipped my mind momentarily. I actually paid $1056 for that lens and am willing to sell it at a slight loss

Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist
    You're driving me nuts. Please tell me more about the technical things, like are you shooting with a packard shutter or your wristwatch and a lens cap?

Also, thanks for the tip last week. Unfortunatly I got so busy I missed it.

Alan.
    Snoozers'....

Yeah, it was a Packard set on instantaneous (about 1/15th sec.) If you put a packard shutter on a Deardorff V8 does it equal a Cadillac? Just curious.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can see the Tonopah police report now--

Jim Galli reports that a burglar broke into his house and stole all his old lenses. Mr. Galli awoke and confonted the thief, who stated, "Hand over all the old brassies and no one gets hurt". Mr. Galli asked if he could take a last portrait with his favorite lens--fascinated by the lens and camera, the thief agreed.

By the time the police had arrived, Mr. Galli had contact printed the portrait of the Thief on a nice warm-tone paper. The thief, Mr. Matt Carey, was arrested shortly thereafter....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm. Don't need no steekin' death of fiel, eh, Jim? So much for the school, so-called, of f64, the pictorialists are roaring back.

Man, I bet you really enjoyed yourself ...

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim, these just get better and better. Nice tonality in this batch.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin