Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,101   Online: 922

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

LF 210mm. Which one?

I've always heard the 210mm Sironar-S was an amazing lens. Does it have any competitors for 4x5 usuage when enlarging to 16x20?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have only used about 10-12 LF lenses, but of those I have used and own 3 G-Claron lenses, and IMO they are very very sharp lenses. That includes the 210. I had a rodenstock Sironar 150mm that I always thought was tack sharp until I shot a G-Claron lens. Now I own 3 and thats it. I just wish they made a 90mm lens too.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have G Clarons too Troy and like them very much. I am using a 210mm G Claron on my Durst 138 enlarger.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Are we talking about lenses to use on the enlarger or, lenses to use on the camera?

I've heard that the new Schneider APO Symmar-L is on par with the Sironar-S but, alas, I have no data with either one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From what I understand the G-clarons are process lenses.

A lot of them that you see on Ebay are mounted in a barrel so you have to buy a shutter. Even with that I bought a 150 in shutter for $65 and a 240 for $110 and bought a used shutter from mpex.

My 210 was as sharp as any medium format lens I have used except for the Mamiya 7 and the $3000 Pentax 67 300mm EDIF lens.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    the G- Clarons are process lenses and they can be used as taking lenses and as enlarging lenses. The 150 mm fits into a copal #0 without any modification other than a scale for f/stops. The 210 thru the 305 fits directly into the copal #1 without any modification also and the 355 mm fits into the copal #3 without any modification. The only problem that might be seens as a problem is they are slow. f/9.

lee\c

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Enlarging 4x5" to 16x20" is a 4x enlargement. All 210mm lenses produced in the last 50 years (as well as many of the older ones) are capable of giving sufficient resolution on 4x5" film for that.

I use/have used a 210 APO-Lanthar, a 210 Xenar, a 210 Angulon (1947 vintage), as well as 180 Dagor, 180 Xenar, 240 Symmar, and a 210 Aplanat. Within your specification the only difference is in contrast, not sharpness.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You could spend the extra $1000 plus bucks but according to Kerry Thalmann's / Chris Perez' resolution charts an ordinary Symmar - S like the one I have for sale here at APUG would do as well or better. I've also found that true in actual practice having used a Sironar-N but not the -S. Years ago I did a shoot out between a Symmar-S and Sironar-N and while the resurlts were for ANY practical purpose indistinguishable, I felt the Symmar had a very slight overall edge and that was the lens I kept. Just now my 210 stash includes an early dagor type G-Claron that I adore, and the harder to find Computar.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    You could spend the extra $1000 plus bucks but according to Kerry Thalmann's / Chris Perez' resolution charts an ordinary Symmar - S like the one I have for sale here at APUG would do as well or better. I've also found that true in actual practice having used a Sironar-N but not the -S. Years ago I did a shoot out between a Symmar-S and Sironar-N and while the resurlts were for ANY practical purpose indistinguishable, I felt the Symmar had a very slight overall edge and that was the lens I kept. Just now my 210 stash includes an early dagor type G-Claron that I adore, and the harder to find Computar.

Jim, That 210 Symmar-S you have offered here has been tempting me for weeks. I wake at night dreaming about it. I believe it would complement my 135mm Symmar-S nicely (although, my 135mm si single coated and I see that the 210 you have offered is in fact the highly desireable multi coated version). I'm still recovering from my "drunken sailor" spending of a couple a months ago.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Brad, you need to forego any further agony and just buy it

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Jim, That 210 Symmar-S you have offered here has been tempting me for weeks. I wake at night dreaming about it. I believe it would complement my 135mm Symmar-S nicely (although, my 135mm si single coated and I see that the 210 you have offered is in fact the highly desireable multi coated version). I'm still recovering from my "drunken sailor" spending of a couple a months ago.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin