Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,697   Posts: 1,669,710   Online: 850

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    I'd buy the MPP technical field camera offered in the APUG classifieds by one of our members....but, don't do that because, I'm trying desperately to scrounge together the $295 to buy it myself.
    Buy it quick will you Brad! It's been tempting me something awful! Hell, want me to lend you a few bucks? It would save me in the long run!

[SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Oh, and "looks appealing to me"--Do a google search for "Carbon Infinity." You know you want one.
    Me too. I could carry it around in my Roll Royce, time shots with my Patek Philippe watch while sipping Dom P. out of a Waterford crystal glass!
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had briefly used an older ARCA F with the 171mm lensboards. It was a little big for field work, but otherwise almost perfect. So I was looking at the “field” model 4x5 with the 100mm lensboards when ARCA introduced the new 141mm lensboard model. I think it’s perfect. Collapsed onto one 15cm rail, it packs as small as most field cameras, and has all movements for studio work. Bellows are easily changed, and it will take a 450mm Nikon M with the regular bellows. The modular design has so many benefits.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    Buy it quick will you Brad! It's been tempting me something awful! Hell, want me to lend you a few bucks? It would save me in the long run!

I've got a nice black Nikon FA with a 28mm, f2.8 AIS lens...three way trade anybody?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Art,
    it really all depends on your intended use for the camera: for studio work and architectural stuff I would go with the ARCA (geared movements are a big bonus); for hiking and backbacking stuff it's the CANHAM. I don't like the Sinar F2's; when I went to college, the media department had just gotten a whole batch of these cameras for their students to replace old and battered Linhofs (some 25years old), and these abusive kids are a good testing ground. Well, let's just say, I honestly don't believe that these cameras will still be around in 10 years from now (too much breakage).

BTW, I have a DLC45, bought from Badger many years ago - works great, BUT if you want to use anything shorter than a 90mm, you would have to get a bag bellows as well, or at least a recessed lens board. Yes they say that the camera can use shorter lenses with it's regular bellows, however, you would have to compress the bellows very tightly, and that puts enough pressure on the standards to potenitally cause unintended moves (most of the movements are by friction only). Other than that, it's a fine camera.

Cheers,
    Chris
    [SIZE=1]Tiptoeing through life's grand theater - and falling down flat.[/SIZE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A super expensive brightly colored 4x5 camera will always make sharper, cleaner, better contrast and even toned negatives than a plain old black or wood stained camera. Even at f wide open! :-) My vote is for the 5x7 B&J then spend the mega bucks with J. Galli for a super good batch of lenses! Charlie........

Before buying a camera I would suggest reading

Getting Started in Large Format that is on our web page

www.viewcamera.com

in the Free Articles section.

steve simmons

You could get a Tachi and paint it yellow to match your Hassy ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Well, that said, I have to say that if I were in your position, I'd buy the MPP technical field camera offered in the APUG classifieds by one of our members....but, don't do that because, I'm trying desperately to scrounge together the $295 to buy it myself.
    No worries. It doesn't meet the 'appeals to me' test!

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now there's a Cambo PC Master 4 x 5 View Camera for sale at a cheap price of $540. How's that camera? Why is it so cheap? What's wrong with it? Does it meet the technical specs? If you guys say it's a good first camera, that camera will be sold tonight.

Art. (I guess I could paint it yellow!)
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin