Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,850   Online: 994

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Take an old wide angle lens. Maybe one that has a crack in it or is otherwise flawed. Preheat your oven to around 200 degrees. Place said lens in to the oven, bake for around 2-3 hours. Balsam will bubble, elements will separate, you will find all sorts of new and interesting things.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Even better: Take an old Angulon and bake it in the oven. The two inner elements of whichever group is up will simply drop off, ensuring that the lens will never focus anything again...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you do it correctly, you don't lose the ability to focus. Although I must admit that focus can be a bit fleeting. The effects can be very interesting. And the original poster was looking for "pointilist" effects. I provided him with a tried and true method for obtaining such effects.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Agreed, just make sure it isn't an Angulon or an Angulon clone (e.g. Leitmeyr Weitwinkel Anastigmat). AS I said the inner elements are only held in place by cementing them to the outer elements. The danger of "sag" is real, and may be part of the reason for the very variable quality of Angulons.

I have one in my "collection" where the inner elements have dropped off the front group; but that's all right since I bought it for the shutter. It doesn't focus at all - the focal length is around -300mm (negative!).
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting, Ole, that your Leitmeyr Weitwinkel Anastigmat is an Angulon clone. I recently got one. By the reflections -- four strong, no weak, on each side of the diaphragm -- it has to be a 4/4 double Gauss type. Another instance of a trade name applied to more than one design.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Leitmeyr surprised me too - my 121mm is definitely an Angulon type. It now sits in the shutter I took from the 90mm Angulon with missing elements, a perfect fit. If I could find a straight "arrow" for the aperture scale, that would be a perfect match too!
    Norway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin