Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,869   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Speed Graphic back shutter - is it okay to use? :)

Hello friends,

by I really wild chance I got an Anniversary Speed Graphic in my hands! A well-beaten but nicely working specimen with Ektar 127/4.7, and 10 wooden 9*12cm film holders. I want to use a back shutter with some barrel lenses, so I want your opinion about it - would it work and a relative long (1/25, say) speeds without not turning my tripod? It gives a massive shake to camera when released, indeed, but it apparently comes when the film is exposed. Is it a play of my imagination, or I can try and use it with no blur problems due to camera shake? Looks like no one ever used the back shutter in my camera, so it works just fine.

Cheers,
    Zhenya

Shooter
    Multi Format
    zhenya --

nice camera!
    i have a pacemaker speed graphic, and while my fp shutter doesn't go down as slow as yours ( mine goes only to 1/30th S ) i have not had any problems with camera shake ... on my rb series d, on the other hand, it has a mirror that "clunks" and if i forget to release the mirror first, i always shake when taking slow speed pictures ...

good luck!

john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    John, thank you for warm words - you're not alone with your powerful mamiya RB, this shake was the reason I never use it again I shoot mostly with my faithful C330f, and its mirror knows its place for sure

I'll try to shoot something with my FP shutter tomorrow - a couple of sheets are not too sorry to waste, especially if it's Fomapan 100

Good luck too,
    Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    zhenya --

nice camera!
    ... on my rb series d, on the other hand, it has a mirror that "clunks" and if i forget to release the mirror first, i always shake when taking slow speed pictures ...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have one for a 5X7 and it just about trips a light tripod over when it clunks. I pulled the trailer hitch out of the back of my truck for some extra weight and got several sharp exposures. Absolutely, use it.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot a Pacemaker Speed. The shutter goes bang! when it stops, and since its closed then the shock of stopping it has no effect on the exposure. I have other problems with my pictures, but motion blur isn't often among them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Zhenya, by all means try the focal plane shutter.
    I had some misgivings about it at first, but realized (as Dan said above) that it "bangs" when it stops - i.e. after the exposure is already made.
    Anyway, try a test shot: mount it on a good tripod, use a cable release (it screws into the body release "button"), and give it a shot!

Regards,

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis P.
    Zhenya, by all means try the focal plane shutter.
    I had some misgivings about it at first, but realized (as Dan said above) that it "bangs" when it stops - i.e. after the exposure is already made.
    Anyway, try a test shot: mount it on a good tripod, use a cable release (it screws into the body release "button"), and give it a shot!

Regards,

Denis
    This camera (the Anny) may not have the body-release. I know that my baby speed (pre-Anny) doesn't.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have something like 14 assorted Speed Graphics ranging in size from 2X3 to 5X7. I love each and every one of them. If your shutter seems nice and snappy, it is probably very close to being accurate. Untold thousands of fine pictures have been made with this shutter. Don't be afraid to use it. If your tripod seems a bit unsteady, place your hand on top of the camera and press straight down when you trip the shutter. Please let us know how it goes and have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The FP shutter on my Anniversary Speed Graphic works quite well when the weather is right, even though it seems like the thing will shake itsel;f to death with each exposure. I have problems, but they are really very seldom the shutter's fault. This was shot with the FP shutter last summer. TriX. No shake that I could see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A_GraphFPshut.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use it, by all means.

Before you shoot anything real, howver, you'd do well to vaccuum the inside carefully, especially around the shutter. Run the shutter and vaccuum again. Repeat.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin