Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,166   Online: 1067

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Another one overexcited LF newcomer - just recieved by brand new Shen-Hao 4x5 !

Hello friends.
    Just picked my brand new Shen-Hao 4x5 acquired from Badger. What a wonderful toy ! (hope you excuse me to be overexcited playing with my new toy - my first hands-on experience with LF)
    Now need to figure how to install my Fujinon-W 150mm/5.6 lens (got one Copal #0 lens board with the camera).
    Too bad had to wait another week for my holders to arrive..., then will have hard time figuring holders loading and how to work with them in conjunction with camera back. (BTW, I was sure Shen-Hao has Graflock revolving back, I was wrong.)

Well...:-)

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexz
    What a wonderful toy ! (hope you excuse me to be overexcited playing with my new toy - my first hands-on experience with LF)
    No apology necessary here! Getting a new camera is a drug many here are addicted to! -Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BTW, I was sure Shen-Hao has Graflock revolving back, I was wrong.
    The Shen-Hao has a graflock back and you are right, it doesn't revolve (as in spins), but you can take the back entirely off and change the orientation from landscape to portrait and back again. You have to remove the ground glass spring assembly (which requires making sure the "silver" metal retaining clips aren't in the way, push them back up out of the way, and then you need to push the ground glass on the springs parallel to the back to unseat it--hopefully someone can provide some pictures and better instructions) and then you can slide something else into the graflock back.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Jeremy, nice to hear you once again !
    Thanks for the clarification, will have to re-read it once having the camera in my hands.
    Your former Fujinon lens will soon be employed... :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Jeremy, nice to hear you once again !
    Thanks for the clarification, will have to re-read it once having the camera in my hands.
    Your former Fujinon lens will soon be employed... :-)
    Fantastic! I can't wait to hear about all of the adventures and mis-adventures you have in large format. Put that lens to good use!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, but I guess the sequence will be just opposite: first you will hear about a frustration and mis-advantures, then will hopefully come soem fruits of LF....:-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To re-orient the back, there are two catches at the top. Slide them aside and the back removes by lifting up and back and can be rotated. The bottom of the back locates in two fixed metal "hooks".

If the lens has a #0 shutter then you should have no great problems mounting it - a lens spanner makes life easier but some care with a pair of long-nose pliers will do the job...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Alex, I know exactually how you feel as I received by Shen Hao 4x5 on Monday from Badger Graphics. It is beautiful!! I took it to my Open B&W lab class and showed it off. It has been years since I have touched a large format camera, but you guys had inspired me with all of your work using the LF cameras. Now I have to figure out how to use it. LOL I did take some Polaroids with it yesterday, and they turned out pretty cool, even my kids were impressed. I look forward to seeing your work with this camera. Rebekah

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Will the Fujinon 150 fit into a Copal 0. I thought that it was a #1?

But Congratulations. The Shen Hoa was the first new camera that I ever owned. I bought it to supplement a Toyoview G.

Loading the film is easy. There are some good articles on the Large Format homepage: www.largeformatphotography.info

The short version is that if the film short side of the film is pointing to you, you want the notches in the upper right corner. It actually sounds more complicated than it is. That tells you that the film is emulsion side up. From there you grasp the edges of the sheet with your right hand (if right handed) and feel the guide rails of the open film holder with your left. Then you slide it under the rails into the holder, close the flap, and slide in the darkslide. I never remove the darkslides all the way. I always test each holder in the dark to make sure that the flaps are closed.

One of the things that I'm anal about in LF is making sure that my holders and changing tent are clean. I vacuum my holders before I load and then store them in a ziplock bag until I use them.

Mike Davis

Mike Davis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Congratulations on you first 4x5! Make sure to get a very strong tripod for it and when your film holders arrive, store them in a large ziplock bag (or similar) and don't let them get dirty in the first place- it'll save you a lot of time and frustration in the darkroom. Ditto for the inside of your Shen- keep dust out of the inside of it and always fold it closed gently and correctly.
    But most of all- take a lot of photographs and have fun!
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin