Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,263   Online: 861

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexz
    So, guys, does Caltar-N II 90mm/5.6 with all black shutter and supposedly in excellent-to-mint condition worth 450$ ?
    Alex,

There is no such thing as a 90mm f5.6 Caltar II-N. 90mm Caltars made by Rodenstock come with a maximum aperture of either f4.5 or f6.8 (which is what you asked about in your original post and listed in the title of this thread). There were some older 90mm f5.6 Caltars made by Schneider (Caltar-S II Series) and Komura (Caltr Pro Series), but they pre-date the current Rodenstock Caltars and would not be labeled Caltar II-N.

So, what exactly are you asking about? An older 90mm f5.6 Caltar or a more recent 90mm f6.8 Caltar II-N?

Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, sorry, I meant 90mm/6.8 of course :-)
    sometimes my fingers type faster then my brain can control them...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kerry, I know about the CALTAR N series made by Rodenstock but who makes the other Caltar series (seems like I have seen Caltar E) what are their comparable names a the other manufacturer?

Thanks
    Ruvy

Quote Originally Posted by kthalmann
    Alex,

The 90mm f6.8 Caltar II-N is indeed a private label version of the Rodenstock Grandagon-N. It is made by the same people on the same assembly line to the same level of quality. The only difference is the name on the lens, who provides warranty service and the price. Rodenstock has been supplying the Caltar II-N series to Calumet from 1984 to the present.

Kerry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Alex,

$450 seems about right for an older (1980s vintage) - if it is indeed in near mint condition. I recently sold my newer (green stripe, mid-1990s) mint condition (with original box and caps) 90mm f6.8 Caltar II-N for $549 on eBay.

BTW, the 90mm f6.8 Grandagon/Caltar is a nice compromise between the slower 90mm f8 and faster 90mm f4.5 or f5.6 lenses. It's about the same size and weight as the slower f8 models, but a half stop faster for a brighter image on the ground glass. My personal favorite of the current 90s is the f8 Nikkor SW (smallest, lightest current 90 with a big 235mm image circle), but some people may find the f8 max. aperture makes composing and focusing a bit difficult in low light conditions.

Kerry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruvy
    Kerry, I know about the CALTAR N series made by Rodenstock but who makes the other Caltar series (seems like I have seen Caltar E) what are their comparable names a the other manufacturer?

Thanks
    Ruvy
    The Caltar E lenses are also made by Rodenstock. Rodenstock calls them "Geronar". The older Caltar-S are known to be Schneider Symmar-S lenses. There were also some Caltar lenses made by Ilex but, I am not familiar with those details.
    Last edited by BradS; 10-28-2005 at 01:02 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruvy

Thanks
    Ruvy
    Ruvy,

ALL current and recent (going back to the mid-1980s) Caltar lenses are made by Rodenstock. The Caltar II-E series (and sometimes called Caltar Compact) are re-badged Rodenstock Geronars (three element designs).

I wrote an article a couple years ago on the history of Caltar lenses for View Camera magazine (I think it was the May/June 2003 issue). Over the years, five different manufacturers on three different continents made Caltar lenses for Calumet - at times, Calumet used more than one supplier concurrently. The period covering the late 1970s through early 1980s is especially hard to sort out as Calumet changed suppliers and product lines several times during that time frame. I'd be happy to answer questions about a specific lens, but if you want the complete history of the Caltar lenses, I recommend getting a hold of a back issue of the magazine containing the article. It covers every Caltar lenses ever offered, who made what and when, along with tables of specs on all the lenses.

Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kerry, as far as I understand, all black shutter (rather then black with silver shutter speeds ring) suggests that this particular lens is either late 80s or early 90s.
    Am I wrong ?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexz
    Kerry, as far as I understand, all black shutter (rather then black with silver shutter speeds ring) suggests that this particular lens is either late 80s or early 90s.
    Am I wrong ?
    Alex,

I'm not sure exactly when Copal switched over to the all black shutters. I believe it was sometime in the early 1980s (between 1980 and 1985, most likely in the 1982 - 1984 time frame). I'd have to do some digging to get a more accurate date. At the very earliest, a Caltar II-N lens would date to 1984 (in fact, I've never seen a Caltar II-N lens with a chrome ringed Copal shutter). If you can get the serial number of the lens in question, you should be able to determine a more accurate date of manufacture using the table of Rodenstock serial numbers I mentioned in my first post.

Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, thanks.
    I've quered the seller for len's SN, will see...

Images
    Kerry,

The weird thing is the guy told me that after I bought my supplies, and was looking at the lenses because one of them was huge. He was not trying to sell me anything. He was talking about why he only stocked rodenstock lenses. I always wondered if he was full of it. Thanks for the clarification.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin