Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,295   Online: 923

Shooter
    Multi Format

7x5" vs 13*18 cm film & holders (Ole???)

Hi all,

Maybe Ole is best placed to answer this:
    What is the exact difference in mm. between 7x5" and 13*18cm film formats?

My guess is that the outside dimensions of the filmholders are the same. Correct?

13*18cm is more available in Europe since I order film through Germany.

Tnx.

G

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The film holders are the same - externally.

Both film sizes are about 2mm smaller than "nominal", which makes 5x7" 12.5x17.6cm. Funnily the 13x18cm film ends up as 12.8x17.8cm, or almost exactly 5" by 7"...

Taking the tolerances into account, there are 13x18 films which will fit in a 5x7" holder. But there are many more that won't fit. Conversely there are 5x7" films that will stay in place in a 13x18 holder - but most will be in danger of dropping out. The sound of a film landing in the bellows is almost as awful as the scrunchy sound you get when you try to insert the dark slide and the film has bowed out of the holder...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ole. I'll stick with the 13*18cm format then.

I know the sound of a falling sheet of 4x5 (badly inserted) and don't ever want to hear it with a larger format!!!

G

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin