Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,457   Posts: 1,570,599   Online: 813

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Book on large format?

Hi,

is there a good book out there about large format, not so much the movements as I've found plenty that cover this, but the "nitty gritty" of large format. Handling film, loading holders, etc etc.

TIA

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The book that I bought and have been using as a reference for years is Steve Simmons "Using the View Camera".

Any LF book that you buy will cover movements because that's such an integral (and unique) part of LF work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto
    The book that I bought and have been using as a reference for years is Steve Simmons "Using the View Camera".
    Thanks for the very prompt reply, I'll look out for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto
    Any LF book that you buy will cover movements because that's such an integral (and unique) part of LF work.
    I appreciate this, but information on movements isn't primarily what I'm looking for. I guess something like "Large Format for Dummies" is what I have in mind. To a large degree what I'm after is something to give me a bit more confidence to make the step into LF. That and the right camera at the right price at the right time. At present I'm inclined to go for a wooden field camera or something like a MPP. But I'd like to understand the differences a little better before commiting.

Cheers

Martin

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseowl
    Thanks for the very prompt reply, I'll look out for this.
    I appreciate this, but information on movements isn't primarily what I'm looking for. Martin
    Martin, I believe what Monophoto is trying to tell you is that all books on LF are going to cover movements. A LF book that does not cover movements would be like a cookbook that doesn't cover food.

Go get Steve Simmons "Using the View Camera". come on back if you have questions after that.

-Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

book

Wiseowl-you can come to the APUG Conference in Toronto and take my workshop. I'll give you all the info you need.....
    Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    Martin, I believe what Monophoto is trying to tell you is that all books on LF are going to cover movements. A LF book that does not cover movements would be like a cookbook that doesn't cover food.

Go get Steve Simmons "Using the View Camera". come on back if you have questions after that.

-Bob
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager
    Wiseowl-you can come to the APUG Conference in Toronto and take my workshop. I'll give you all the info you need.....
    Peter
    I would love to go to the Apug conference, but alas with me being UK based it's a non starter. Thank you for the invitation though, much appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best thing on film loading is Paul Butzi website IMHO.

http://www.butzi.net/reviews/filmholders.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's also lots of good information at www.largeformatphotography.info
    Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wiseowl, know what you are asking for and not sure there is anything. The 2 links above from Nick and dphphoto are about as good as it gets. AA's The Camera gives a short overview...recall when I first got into LF (all of 3 years ago) I decided to go with a Crown Graphic because of cost (so I thought), but was not satisfied with the limited movements, so went with a wooden field ( to move up to 5x7 and extra movements) then found a good deal on a Burke & James 5x7, with a 4x5 back that had more movements, then well you get the idea I hope.

The questions you should ask - 1st what do you plan to photograph? If the grand landscape or people, then one of the old press cameras might just do the trick. 2. If you even think you want to contact print - VanDyke, Plt/Pld or some other alt process I would encourage you to think about at least a 5x7, with a 4x5 back. The reason I say this is a 5x7 is a nice size for contact printing, yet 4x5 is nice for an intimate contact print, but can be enlarged. 3. Do you plan to enlarge the negatives? This is very important, if you don't already have a 4x5 enlarger - there are added cost for the enlarger, lens etc. 4. How do you plan to develope the negatives? Tank, tray, drum? Do you plan to do color? If you do enlarge how large to you plan to go...I know there are a lot of questions here, and I don't need to know the answers...but you will.

My best advice from what I have learned would be, find a local LF photographer...go through the process with them. Try to avoid their on bias, they will have some no matter how objective they try to be. If not can you contact someone here on APUG that might be willing to spend a weekend with you .... the equipment sales for pennies on the dollar right now, but you sound like most of us and do not want to waste time and/or money on a maybe.

I love shooting LF...it slows down the entire process and I take a lot fewer photographs, but enjoy the ones I do make more. That said, I also, love the alt process, which I understand are not for everyone. Contact printing on silver is fun too! But sometimes an image WANTS to be made BIG!! and if the negative is 5x7 or larger for me...well it's contact print or nothing. I can enlarge 4x5 down, but that is it.

Good luck in your search, I think you will find some of the best help right here as you know....some of these LF guys give so freely of their knowledge that you could never afford the book/workshop that would give you the same information.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc

My best advice from what I have learned would be, find a local LF photographer...go through the process with them.
    This would be the ideal solution, I currently feel that I don't know enough to be able to make a sensible choice of camera (or even what questions I should be asking.), and until I get to use one and get a feel for it am unlikely to. Reading is no substitute for experience IMO.

As for the possibility of meeting up with a felow APUG member, well that would be good, is there anyone else from S.Wales here?

Cheers

Martin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin