Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,496   Online: 1091

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

wrong what? (or live with the limitations)

Hi
    Still learning so no surprise finding lots of problems to overcome. One of which is shooting from a close distance subjects that behave less friendly than expected ;-). All of the following images were shot from a distance of one meter or less with Plaubel Peco profia view camera and caltar II N 150mm. All required heavy tilting (lots of front and often additional back tilting - all for sharpness only) and f32 but even so, All I could have done was to get this part sharp or the other but not all of it.

Question are: 1. Am I using the right lens for the job (maybe a longer and further placed lens would have solved the problem)?
    2. Wouldn't I have been better off without tilting?

I have seen some posters place a little icon of an image and when you point to it the full image opens up (unlike what I have done bellow) can someone explain how its done?

Anyway, here are the problematic images:
    base or front?

back or front?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are no images. Are you sure you haven't posted a shortcut instead of an actual file?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can see the images...

And the answers are: 1: Yes (no), and 2: Maybe...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You're in the macro range, so DOF is going to be pretty short. I'm guessing magnification here is about 1:2 in the second image (size of the image on film:actual size of the object).

The choices are either to try to use that short DOF in an interesting way, or shoot a smaller format, so the magnification ratio will be smaller given the same field of view and DOF will be greater (though it's not going to help that much).

The only reasons to use a longer lens would be if you needed more working room for lighting, or if you felt it would give you a more natural perspective. 210mm is a common focal length for studio tabletop work on 4x5", for instance.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As for whether you would have been better off without tilts; on the first image if your lens had been paralell to the film plane, the base of the stand would have been more in focus. Of course, the top would not have been in focus as well. I suspect your best results, assuming that having everything in focus your goal, would have been either no tilt, or tilting so that the plane of focus is paralell to the ground. That combined with stopping down another stop or two might have gotten you closer to having everything in focus and, at the very least, the focus would have looked more natural.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I can see the images...

And the answers are: 1: Yes (no), and 2: Maybe...
    I see the images now too. My apologies for the short comment before.

Graham

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Impossible to say if you could have got better DoF without being there and trying it, but I can attempt an answer to a couple of points... Tilting the back has much the same effect as tilting the front (tilting in the opposite direction) so you may want to avoid confusion and only tilt one of them.

Changing lens will make no detectable difference to the DoF that you get (this has been debated endlessly in other threads...).

The icon you mention is a function of the web browser in which you view the image. If an image is larger than the current browser window, there is the option for the browser to reduce the size of the image so that it fits within the window. The icon is added by the browser to allow you to see the image at its full size. Depending on the browser, the option is called something like: "Enable automatic Image Resizing" or "Resize large images to fit the browser window".

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Use a wider angle lens, and get a shutter that stops down more then 32.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wider angle lenses do nothing for DoF at there reproduction ratios. Wider (shorter) or longer lens lets you work closer or farther away, nothing else.

The reason your pictures show up in full size is that you used the "[ IMG]" tag. If you had put the pictures in as an attachment instead you would have had the thumbnails.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob, just a side note:
    I'm now in my learning curve in theoretical LF, and according to Simmon's well known book (or at least as I understood this particular issue), tilting back has lesser effect on DOF comparative to tilting front. According to him, to obtain desirable focus plane usually front tilt is used whilst back tilt is more useful for perspective correction, for instance. Of course, back tilt also alters focus plane (all according to Scheimpflug law), but in far lesser effeciency then front tilt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin