Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,521   Online: 1033

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shen-Hao 4x5 GG frame marking

The standard GG of Shen-Hao 45 has several frame-like markings Do they intend for roll film frames (such as 6x7, 6x9, 6x12) ? Measuring them with ruler doesn't really match 6x7, 6x9 or 6x12 sizes.
    Also, how do I see a real boundaries of regular 4x5 frame on its GG ?

Last one: there is a dotted lines runing to the half screen at the edges (from each side, along the GG edges half-GG long). What they are intended for ?

Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't worry about the markings - most rollfilm holders will require removing the entire ground glass holder. People using one of the roll film holders that slip under the holder like a normal film holder will mark the glass in pen or pencil to get exactly the correct framing. You can do the same for a Polariod holder.

If you examine the back you should see that the visible area on the ground glass is just slightly smaller than the opening in the back where the film holder sits. So, if you compose using the visible image on the ground glass there will be about 1mm more of the subject on the film at the edges than you can see on the ground glass.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Bob.
    So shouldn't I pay attention to those markings on GG while composing ? I guess if they are there, there must be the reason for their existance, right ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alexz,

Yes there is a reason, they are an approximation of where different film holders would capture an image, but only an approximation...

Don't worry, you won't to worry about them to much longer, because out screens don't have the marking on them.

Fun to hear your having sucha great time with your new camera, now we expect to see great things from you!

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Before I got my SatinSnow screen for my Shen-Hao 4X5, I used the markings on the original GG more as a compositional aid. Maybe if I get some free time, I'll mark the new screen with some type of permanent pen. Thanks for the reminder.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Dave, sounds reassuring. :-)
    Would be great to get finally my SN screen...(any hint when to expect ?) :-)

Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    Before I got my SatinSnow screen for my Shen-Hao 4X5, I used the markings on the original GG more as a compositional aid. Maybe if I get some free time, I'll mark the new screen with some type of permanent pen. Thanks for the reminder.
    Hey Doug,

go to our website and down load the various 4x5 template we have, they make it real easy to mark the screens with the various formats, I even have one there that covers almost every format available in the 4x5 format..they are free for the download.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Dave, I grabbed the templates for both my 4X5 & 8X10 SS screens. Now, one less excuse for creating good images ;-)
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin