Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,445   Online: 812

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Oh yeah... I'm officially a LFer!

Man, this stuff is cool... After a week and a half of waiting, I finally shot, developed, and printed an 8x10 neg. The print is in the washer right now...

I'm amazed that the work I've put in this week paid off so quick. In between studying for midterms, I rebuilt the front standard of the Empire State 8x10 (the rise/fall gearing was iffy, so I built one with full movements), and built a tilting head for a surveyor's tripod. Nothing has fallen apart so far, which is kind of amazing.

On the film side of things, I'm pretty amazed that I didn't mess up more than I did. My only error was not checking for coverage after the front and rear tilts I put in; I ended up vigneting about 1.5 inches off the top corners.

The film I used was Freestyle's APHS, stand developed in Rodinal (fresh bottle, too! I've had it for a while...) at 1:333. The neg, exposed at E.I. 3, still came out VERY contrasty, but gave me a nice print at 170 yellow (less than grade 0, I believe). I'll post a scan as soon as I can.

Anyway, I'm just sharing the joy

André

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Congratulations Andre and welcome to Large Format!
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    *HIGHFIVE*

Good to see more people coming into 8x10!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Welcome to the club!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to 8x10. We're twice those 4x5ers and can't be compared with 35!
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Images
    And I'm real MFer.
    That stands for Medium Format-er, despite what all the filthy minded wisenheimers that are known to populate this site are thinking.

Since I've gotten my D2, I've been having fun shooting a lot of 4x5 but tonight I'm shooting a still life and chose to use a rollfilm back on my view camera.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neal, I can relate. I've been a MFer for a while. Some people don't even know my name, they just recognize my work. For example, last week I was commuting to school when an enthusiastic fan pulled up to my motorcycle and yelled MFer right to my face. I was kind of embarrassed, but glad they knew my work.

But anywho, I'm just glad to be shooting something again. Takes the edge off, you know...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jay,

I thought of doing development under the safe light, but decided to do stand development instead to control the highlights a little. It worked to a very good degree, considering that this is a litho film, but I think that next time I'll agitate for 15 seconds instead of 30 seconds before leaving the thing alone.

ooops, posted too early...

I might try the paper developer route as well, though.

I'll post the scan tomorrow, or as soon as the print dries...

take care,

André

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Welcome to the dark s(l)ide.

Quote Originally Posted by laz
    Welcome to 8x10. We're twice those 4x5ers and can't be compared with 35!
    Actually we are 4 times what the 4x5er use. (one must be accurate to be a real elitist)
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats on your initial success, André. The first view of that 8x10 ground glass is pretty neat, but there's nothing like holding that first negative up to the light, eh?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin