Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,365   Online: 813

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Centering the lens won't produce even rise and fall, it was designed for an off center board. That's what I should have explained better. (Sorry, it is still early morning for me!) Take a look at the camer with the board as it is now, move the front standard until you are at the zero point on the scale. You will see that the lens is now in a neutral position and you have an even amount of rise and fall available to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A regular dark cloth will flap in the wind and drive you crazy. Get a black t shirt for the inside and a white one for the outside to keep you cool. You'll need both since one isn't completely light proof. Sew them inside each other at the sleeves and a couple stitches at the neck. Stretch the neck over camera, compose, focus and wear it when you get cold.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, will bear it in my mind.
    Paul, I just checked once again what you said - you're correct, the rise/fall scale indeed calibrated for off-center board. So I guess I'll be better keeping this as it is.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Depending on which lens you have, you may still want to center it to make sure the lens will fit through the front standard. If the lens has a large diameter rear element, it will be tricky to mount/dismount the lens without taking off the bellows and then removing the rear element of the lens (this probably only happens with 2 or three modern wide-angles, and a couple of long lenses in Copal 3 shutters, but still...).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Took a seminar from Sexton a few years ago and he showed us his dark cloth constructed of black untrasuede cloth on one side and a white material on the other. This arrangement is absolutely light-blocking - no matter how blazing the sun. With the cost of Ultrasuede, don't look for this to be available any time soon but it is an outstanding do it yourself item.

By the way, ebay is a good source for black ultrasuede at a bargain price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin