Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,365   Online: 869

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lens has arrived!!

I'll join in here!! My 750 mm has arrived and I'll add that is a spectacular piece of glass as Kerry stated and very well packaged---Thank You again Kerry!!
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just received my two special purchases today (210mm tessar & 240mm Gerimar) and they are nicer than I could imagine. The packaging to protect these jewels were truly amazing, the lens incredible, the prices phenomenal,
    Kerry, priceless! thank you. Jon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Got mine today too!
    The 240 looks great, but, um, does anyone have any good ideas for removing the rear elements from the barrel. Mine won't budge. The front came right off, and I'm reluctant to manhandle this gem too much.
    Thanks
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No problem in removing the cells to my 240mm germinar from its barrel and they fit directly into my copal no. 1. I would recommend you email Kerry or apply gentle, increasing torque to turn the cell.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My lens came Friday. Superb!
    Thanks Kerry!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnjunkie
    Got mine today too!
    The 240 looks great, but, um, does anyone have any good ideas for removing the rear elements from the barrel. Mine won't budge. The front came right off, and I'm reluctant to manhandle this gem too much.
    Thanks
    Mike
    Mike,

The last batch I sold also had one or two with stubborn rear elements. This seem to be caused by them sitting in storage for an extended period. Once you get them started, the rear cell should also also screw right out and not cause further difficulties.

If you plan to get a shutter/scale from someone like SK Grimes, I'd recommend letting them remove the rear cell from the barrel. They will have the proper tools to remove it without any problems.

If you plan to re-mount the cells in a shutter yourself, do not use any metal tools as the chance of causing damage is too great. So, no monkey wrenches, pliers or vice grips. Also, do not use any kind of solvent like Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster. These may work great on rusty nuts and bolts, but I have no idea what such harsh solvents might do to lens coatings (and I have no desire to find out).

The best tool for removing stuck lens cells is a small strap wrench. If you don't already have one of these, you can probably find one at your local auto parts store, plumbing supply store, Lowes or Home Depot. One of the small inexpensive one with a plastic handle should do the job. Here's an example of one that should work and not mar the finish on your lens.

If you don't have a strap wrench, there are a couple other things you can try. One of the circular rubber disks sold as "lid grippers" for removing stuck jar lids can be used to get a better grip on the rear barrel. You can use it to grip the side of the barrel (be careful that it doesn't touch the glass), or you can just lay it on a flat surface and push the lens down onto it while turning. In addition to stuck lens cells, this latter method works especially well on stuck filters as gripping them by the sides tends to cause them to deform slightly and bind even worse.

A similar technique is to use an over-sized rubber stopper. I bought a whole set of these in various sizes years ago at Home Depot, but haven't seen them there lately. The key word here is "over-sized". You don't want to use one too small and risk contact with the glass surface if it slips while turning. For the 240mm Germinar-W rear element, a size 11 will work if you are careful, but a size 12 would be better.

Hope that helps,
    Kerry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    P.S. I hope it was obvious from my last post, but if not: If you use a strap wrench, it should be one with a rubber or neoprene strap, not one with a chain or metal strap. Sears also sells a small inexpensive plastic-handled strap wrench for $4.99.

Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fargo Enterprises Inc have "channel lock " pliers(http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2...oduct_Code=45Z) with rubberized jaws for gentle and easy removal of lens elements.

Greg

Thanks Matt!!
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the ideas folks. One strap wrench didn't do it. I couldn't grip the barrel well enough with my hand (even with a fat rubber band and rubber gloves). I'm considering trying 2 strap wrenches, but I'm wondering how much torque is too much here. Hmmm.
    Thanks again all
    Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Phew.
    Two strap wrenches, frayed nerves, and care did it.
    Germinar. In a shutter. Big smile.
    Thanks for the ideas

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin