Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,278   Online: 1068

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    Kerry,
    What is the coverage on the 210 mm Tessar compared to the 210 G-Claron (or do you have any idea)?
    Diane,

The Tessar will have substantially less coverage than a G Claron of the same focal length. Tessars not not generally known for their coverage. Typical Tessar-type lenses cover about 55 - 60 degrees. A 210mm Tessar will cover 5x7, but not have a lot left over for movements.

Kerry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume Zuili
    What would be the price range of the long lenses ?
    Guillaume,

I don't have any pricing info on the longer lenses at this time.

Kerry

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A 600mm would do nicely on the 30x40cm camera...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by disfromage
    Kerry,
    I'm interested in a 600mm Apo Germinar. Do you know its approximate weight and cost? I bought a 300mm Apo Germinar a few years ago that I use as a long lens on 4x5 and it's great. I've been using the 240 Germinar W that i got from you on 8x10 where it performs brilliantly. I'm hoping to use it on a 7x17 camera that Richard Ritter is curently building for me. As soon as I receive it I'll try the lens-I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will cover.

Richard Wasserman
    Richard,

According to Arne Corell's table the weight of the 600mm f9 APO Germinar is 2350g - over 5 lbs. As I said, not for backpacking or hiking any significant distance. The barrel mounts these lenses come in are very heavy and bulky. They can be remounted into shutters, which will actually reduce the weight in bulk in this case, but the work required (and associated cost) is significant. There are photos of 750mm APO Germinars on the S.K. Grimes web site that show this lens both in a barrel mount with a Packard shutter (a more cost effective approach) and re-mounted into an Ilex No. 5 shutter (a more elegant, but more costly approach).

The good news is the 600mm should cover 7x17 with some room left over for movements. No idea on the prices, yet.

Kerry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kthalmann
    According to Arne Corell's table the weight of the 600mm f9 APO Germinar is 2350g - over 5 lbs.
    I have been informed that the actual weight of the barrel mount 600mm APO Germinar is approximatey 1880g - or a touch over 4 lbs. Still not an ultralight, but a full pound lighter than the "official" spec.

Kerry

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Shouldn't be any problem on the 30x40cm camera, then - that's about the same as my 60cm Aplanat.

So it all depends on price.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kerry, just wondering how much would cost the total your Germinar 240mm (or 300mm APO) togather with purchasing a necessary Copal shutter (presumably new) and having it engraved accordingly ?
    BTW, I guess 300mm non tele lens will unlikely to work on Shen-Hao 4x5 or similar folders (due to maximum bellows extention limitation). Am I wrong ?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexz
    Kerry, just wondering how much would cost the total your Germinar 240mm (or 300mm APO) togather with purchasing a necessary Copal shutter (presumably new) and having it engraved accordingly ?
    BTW, I guess 300mm non tele lens will unlikely to work on Shen-Hao 4x5 or similar folders (due to maximum bellows extention limitation). Am I wrong ?
    Alex,
    I visited the Badger Graphic website and found that the Shen HZX-IIA has a maximum bellows extension of 360mm. With a little bit of math it is easy to find that with this much bellows, one could focus a 300mm lens (of normal design) as close as about 1.8 meters.

(1/focal length) = (1/object distance) + (1/image distance)
    rearranging ...
    (1/object distance) = (1/focal length) - (1/image distance)
    or,
    object distance = 1 / ( (1/focal length) - (1/image distance) )

and substituting in known values, we have at once...

object distance = 1 / ((1/300) - (1/360))
    = 1 / ((6/1800) - (5/1800))
    = 1 / (1/1800) = 1800mm
    Last edited by BradS; 12-01-2005 at 07:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Oh....Kerry, I am mildly interested in one of the 240mm Geminars but much more interested inthe 210 Tessar in shutter. It will come down to price and timing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexz
    Alex,

The prices for the 240mm and 300mm will likely be very close to what they were previously (see the links in my original post for all the details). They might vary slightly due to fluctuating exchange rates, shipping costs and other fees, but they should be in the same ballpark.

As for the shutter and aperture scale costs, I'll leave that to the folks at SK Grimes. When I sold the previous lenses, several APUG members worked out a deal with SK Grimes for a "bulk purchase" of aperture scales. Again, the details are in the previous threads I linked in my original post. I believe the folks at SK Grimes have all the data for producing the proper aperture scales. So, you would not even have to ship them your lens(es). Just call them up and order a shutter and/or aperture scales.

Brad already answered your question on using a 300mm non-telephoto on the Shen-Hao. I tested a Shen-Hao back when Badger first started importing them. I was able to use it with a 300mm Nikkor M (a non-telephoto). I do recall I had to use a combination of base and axis tilts to get the desired extension, but the 300mm APO Germinar (like the 300mm Nikkor M) is very light for a lens of this focal length and should not put any excessive burden on the front standard of the She-Hao (or other similar wooden field cameras).

Kerry

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin