Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,841   Online: 1147

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Oh....Kerry, I am mildly interested in one of the 240mm Geminars but much more interested inthe 210 Tessar in shutter. It will come down to price and timing.
    Brad,

Once I know, I'll post pricing and availability information. In the past, my supplier has been very generous in setting his prices low enough that his lenses are considered a good deal to those who buy them. I expect this trend to continue.

Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Kerry,

I'm potentially interested in a 240 and a 600, if the price is right

Tim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kthalmann
    Brad,

Once I know, I'll post pricing and availability information. In the past, my supplier has been very generous in setting his prices low enough that his lenses are considered a good deal to those who buy them. I expect this trend to continue.

Kerry

Thanks Kerry. I noted that the prices in you previous offering were very attractive. I just didn't have the money at the time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'd also like to call on the collective wisdom of the APUG membership regarding the coverage of the 600mm and 750mm APO Germinars. Thanks to Arne and his articles on these lenses I know what the official specs are. I know that based on these specs the 600mm will cover 7x17 with some left over for movements, but just miss the corners of 8x20 and that the 750mm should cover 12x20 with about an inch or so left over for front rise/shift. However, it has been my experience with other lenses originally targeted at the demanding reprographics industry (APO Artars, APO Ronars, G Clarons, etc.) that the official specs are often very conservative. Those using these lenses for pictorial use (usually involving some type of contact printing) often find they cover considerably more than the official spec would indicate.

So, if anyone has any first hand knowledge of the actual usable coverage of the 600mm and 750mm APO Germinars, please share your experiences here. I don't want to oversell the capbilities of these lenses, but I also don't want any 8x20 or 12x20 users to pass on them due to overly conservative manufacturers specs.

Thanks,
    Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A potential interest at this point in either the 600 or 750.
    Once price is available I can increase my potential to possible.
    Thanks Kerry

Matt
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume Zuili
    I have for years an Apo-Germinar W 240 in Copal 3. I use it for 8x10 with a lot of coverage.
    I can only say that these lenses are outstanding.
    Just a short note, that the Apo-Germinar W Guillaume mentions is different from the Germinar-W's or the Apo-Germinars Kerry is talking about. The 240mm Germinar W fits a Copal 1 shutter, as stated by Kerry, whereas the Apo-Germinar W is MUCH larger and heavier and comes in a size 3 shutter. All of them are great lenses, but with different designs and design goals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Kerry, Brad.
    Brad, I know how to calculate this :-), but albeit Shen-Hao spec mentions the max. draw of 360mm, it can only be achieved in particular sutuation by twisting the front out of its frame and tilting it up. In fact, I have never tried it yet, but without it, I believe the bellows can reach 300-330mm, so 300mm lens apparently will work up to some close range, probably close to what you mentioned and Kerry confirms it (as he tried with Nikon 300mm).
    Kerry, regarding the shutters, I would have to acquire new shutter also, not only the scale. Also, I'll have SK Grimes to fix the scale on the shutter. So in my case, the total (lens + shutter and necessary work) may easily reach 600$...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexz
    Kerry, regarding the shutters, I would have to acquire new shutter also, not only the scale. Also, I'll have SK Grimes to fix the scale on the shutter. So in my case, the total (lens + shutter and necessary work) may easily reach 600$...
    Alex,

I believe the $300 price for a new Copal No. 1 shutter from SK Grimes includes the engraved aperture scales (please call to confirm if you are interested). I also believe the last time I sold these a group of APUG buyers negotiated a bulk purchase discount on shutters/scales for the 240mm Germinar-W. I don't recall the details, but I think the discount was on the order of 5% or so. Perhaps someone who participated can confirm.

The 240mm and 300mm cells screw right into any standard No. 1 shutter. So, no additional work is necassary. In fact, as the folks at SK Grimes already have the necessary data, you wouldn't even need to send them the lenses. Just call them and tell them which lens you have and ask them to send you a new shutter with the proper scales. Even without any discount, you're looking at around $550 + shipping for the 240 and about $525 + shipping for the 300 - both with brand new Copal shutters and proper scales.

Kerry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kthalmann
    I'd also like to call on the collective wisdom of the APUG membership regarding the coverage of the 600mm and 750mm APO Germinars. Thanks to Arne and his articles on these lenses I know what the official specs are. I know that based on these specs the 600mm will cover 7x17 with some left over for movements, but just miss the corners of 8x20 and that the 750mm should cover 12x20 with about an inch or so left over for front rise/shift. However, it has been my experience with other lenses originally targeted at the demanding reprographics industry (APO Artars, APO Ronars, G Clarons, etc.) that the official specs are often very conservative. Those using these lenses for pictorial use (usually involving some type of contact printing) often find they cover considerably more than the official spec would indicate.

So, if anyone has any first hand knowledge of the actual usable coverage of the 600mm and 750mm APO Germinars, please share your experiences here. I don't want to oversell the capbilities of these lenses, but I also don't want any 8x20 or 12x20 users to pass on them due to overly conservative manufacturers specs.

Thanks,
    Kerry
    Kerry, in addition to the official 46° coverage specs (calculates to 510mm diameter for the 600mm lens, 636mm for the 750mm lens, and 850mm for the 1000mm lens, all at infinity) there are the mysterious "infinity" circles published in a single typed page by Docter: 585mm for the 600mm lens (52°), 715mm for the 750mm lens (51°), 895mm for the 1000mm one (48°) - this is supposedly all for the barrel versions wide open (!) at f/9. Stopped down, the coverage increases a little further to values up to 57°.

Disclaimer: I have not tested these values, these are values from an old Docter leaflet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was really satisfied with the 240 Germinar W so I'm now interesting in Apo-Germinar 600 if it will be possible to mount it in front of a old Compound n.5.
    The barrell seems so heavy and bulk Kerry have you the mesurements of the rear screw? It will help to check if the Germinar could be usefull.
    Thnaks.
    Daniele

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin