Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,651   Online: 796

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Industar-11M 300/9 - results are excellent plus plus! :)

Today I made a lensboard for my Speed Graphic, allowing my Industar-11M to be installed there. It was late, so for a test subject I used the view from my lab's window. In two minute exposure at f/11 the result was just outstanding - crisp, contrasty sharp image, without any problems. I think I can see there any piece of sand in the building on the other side of street (maybe that's just grain, oops ). And in the streetlights I can see the bulb and the luminaire separately, without any oreoles. So, being basically an APO reproduction lens, made by Tessar scheme, Industar-11M exhibits an excellent correction at infinity even with a relatively wide apertures. Another test shoot, made at maximum bellows draw, was excellent, too - but the bokeh of this lens is a bit unusual for Tessar, on my opinion. I can highly recommend this lens - it gives a very good picture, is a very lightweight for its focal length, allows to modify bokeh by inserting different-shaped waterhouse stops (feature for different halftoning screens, actually), and it's very very cheap - I got mine for $10 here.

PS. A nice thing: on a well-lighted spot on my night picture two dogs were playing. Where they sat for long enough, they've left some dog-shaped shadows, they look quite funny

Cheers from Moscow,
    Zhenya

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Zhenya, I'm not surprised at all!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I always knew that Soviet industrial-purpose lenses were made to strictest standarts, unlike the most of consumer-end ones... but this lens is just super. Let's try and shoot more with it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder how this compares to the Industar-37 (300/4.5)?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh, just another apples and oranges case - I-11M is a true apochromate, as I can see, perfectly corrected from 1:1 ratio to infinity, and covering probably 30*40cm format. And I-37 is a simple yet very well-made Tessar with uniquely large aperture... so good for portraits and so cheap nowadays (though there are some bad specimens, of course, but in whole it's quite good). I-11M is much sharper and contrastier, as any process lens - but that can be used nicely, I expect it to be an excellent performer for scenes where the whole material facture should be preserved. And it should work very well with color film, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by celluloidpropaganda
    I wonder how this compares to the Industar-37 (300/4.5)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zhenya, please refresh my memory. Isn't the I-11M also a tessar type? Not that there's anything wrong with tessar type process lenses.

Also, I've shot some more with my RF-5. It is a good lens and I could make do with it, but I don't think its quite up to my 480/9 Apo Nikkor.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dan, I-11M series is apparently a Soviet copy of corresponding Apo-Tessars, but a very well-made one, and with a slot for different waterhouse stops (for different halftoning screen patterns). Is RF-5 really apo corrected, I just don't know - but it should be still a fine lens, and what difference do you see with Apo-Nikkor - a field curvature, distortion, contrast issues, resolution power? They're different in optical design, so they have a full right to behave quite differently But RF as well as I-11M were used for the most precise work here, so they have to be good

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Zhenya, do you know anything about the Industar 11-MC? There's one for sale, and it looks "interesting"...
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ole, what's its focal length? I don't know what "C" means, I've never met one... how much does it cost, does it have a set of square apertures, and what's its overall condition? It's basically the Apo-Tessar, so what can I say more? If it's inexpensive and clean, just buy it - looks like it's a great lens.

Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Zhenya, do you know anything about the Industar 11-MC? There's one for sale, and it looks "interesting"...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's a LOMO I-11MC, 1:9 F=36cm, with an iris aperture. It's in "not ideal, but clean enough, good satisfactory condition", selling for $39.-. The seller says it's the first one he has seen... The mounting ring is almost flush with the front, and it looks like the aperture is very far to the front as well.
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin