Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,182   Online: 661

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    You don't need anything else to get the desireable sharp center fuzzy rest of image effect IF your sharp modern lens doesn't have a field stop built-in. Just use a sharp modern lens that doesn't cover the format you're shooting on. Practice lens abuse, like the others. Pretend that "illuminates" means "covers."
    Correct,

experiment with a modern lens wide open.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    experiment with a modern lens wide open.
    And then compare the center sharpness with that from a 100 years old RR or Aplanat...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Something, I'll never understand. I prefer the newest, sharpest lenses I can get.
    Why?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Something, I'll never understand. I prefer the newest, sharpest lenses I can get.
    Think painting, film/paper is your canvas, lens is your brush, and light is your ink/paint. Different brushes gives different looks, so are lenses.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    Why?
    Because, I want the sharpest, most detailed images I can possibly get. One of the reasons I shoot Velvia 50/100 all the time. I even bought a Schneider 80mm XL lens for this reason, and this summer I'm going to get the Schneider 110mm XL as well.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bah - sharpness is SO 1990's... It's too much like digital for my taste. One of the things that Photoshop does very poorly is soft-focus. It always looks sooooo... synthetic. A 100+ year old Petzval image looks ORGANIC to my eyes. Long live Swirly Bokeh!
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Because, I want the sharpest, most detailed images I can possibly get. One of the reasons I shoot Velvia 50/100 all the time. I even bought a Schneider 80mm XL lens for this reason, and this summer I'm going to get the Schneider 110mm XL as well.
    And I guess I like mimicking normal human visual perception as closely as possible. Personally, I'm looking for a Dallmeyer Extra Quick-Acting Portrait Petzval Miniature lens so I can get that swirl and vignetting on quarter-plate. And my all-time favorite emulsion was Kodak High Speed recording Film 2475.

Chances are I cancelled your vote in the last election.

Joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    And I guess I like mimicking normal human visual perception as closely as possible. Personally, I'm looking for a Dallmeyer Extra Quick-Acting Portrait Petzval Miniature lens so I can get that swirl and vignetting on quarter-plate. And my all-time favorite emulsion was Kodak High Speed recording Film 2475.

Chances are I cancelled your vote in the last election.

Joe
    I've enjoyed reading this thread though. I think what I find fascinating about it is the excitement it generates among some people. But, I still don't understand it.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    And then compare the center sharpness with that from a 100 years old RR or Aplanat...
    again correct.

Robert,
    you need the resolution of a modern lens, as you shoot color landscapes and then have them greatly enlarged to compete with that gallery market.

Note the recent National Geographic Portraits publication....the cover is from a recent photo using a wet plate neg with a period lens, to me it is a most lovely portrait and exhibits great detail....it has a look and beauty all its own, the "center" has a smooth tonality that glows, yes looks human, more like maybe we see and interpret with our eyes naturally, I do not view this as unsharp....many photographers are beginning to appreciate and exploit the characteristics of these lens formulas, if that is the image you are hoping to present, then these period lenses present a facinating study.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The author of my "contemporary source", the 1910 "Photographisces Hilfbuch für ernste Arbeit" was not afraid to state his opinions in very clear ways. While he disliked Aplanats, he also stated that "Anastigmats have much better overall sharpness and greater coverage, and in the center are almost as sharp as the best Aplanats"
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin