Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,566   Online: 1171

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Which shutter for my 305 Schneider Repro Claron?

Just purchased a beautiful 305 Schneider repro claron. I want to mount it in a shutter, front mount would be acceptable. I know that some repro clarons will mount in a copal or compur #1, this one won't, the front and rear lens cells are the same size and are approximately 44 or 45mm. This is a newer model black finish repro claron barrel mount with serial number 11418105. I have a compur #1 and the front cell of the repro claron is too large for it and of course the rear cells are also too large. I also have a compur #2 shutter for a Xenar 180 4.5 that I believe is classified as a compur II/6. The front and rear cells of the repro claron are too small for this shutter and the barrel is too large for this shutter so it won't front mount on the Compur #2. I have a Copal #3 shutter and the barrell of the repro claron is too small to mount on a copal #3 as a front mount. I was hoping to save some money by purchasing a used shutter as opposed to having it custom mounted. Does anyone know whether this lens would be a direct fit for an Alphax or Betax #3 or whether it would front mount (the barrel threads are approximately 53 or 54mm) on any available shutter. I would prefer to avoid using a Packard shutter if possible.
    thanks, D.W.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've checked my Compur and Compound tables, and your lens is not going to fit in any of them without a custom adapter.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Webb
    Just purchased a beautiful 305 Schneider repro claron. I want to mount it in a shutter, front mount would be acceptable. I know that some repro clarons will mount in a copal or compur #1, this one won't, the front and rear lens cells are the same size and are approximately 44 or 45mm. This is a newer model black finish repro claron barrel mount with serial number 11418105. I have a compur #1 and the front cell of the repro claron is too large for it and of course the rear cells are also too large. I also have a compur #2 shutter for a Xenar 180 4.5 that I believe is classified as a compur II/6. The front and rear cells of the repro claron are too small for this shutter and the barrel is too large for this shutter so it won't front mount on the Compur #2. I have a Copal #3 shutter and the barrell of the repro claron is too small to mount on a copal #3 as a front mount. I was hoping to save some money by purchasing a used shutter as opposed to having it custom mounted. Does anyone know whether this lens would be a direct fit for an Alphax or Betax #3 or whether it would front mount (the barrel threads are approximately 53 or 54mm) on any available shutter. I would prefer to avoid using a Packard shutter if possible.
    thanks, D.W.
    Hi,
    I have one s/n 13 382 etc. The front and rear cells fit perfectly in the dreaded "#2" shutter. I have tested this by swapping for a 165 angulon (of much older vintage) which I have mounted in just such a shutter. Removing the rear cell (may require a rubber bung to obtain sufficient leverage) shows a thread in the c. 45mm range. Sorry about the lack of precision but I can't find the dial caliper. This is in line with what Grimes specifies.
    Celac

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It can "share" a shutter with any of the following; 150 f2.8 Xenotar 165 f6.8 Angulon, 240 / 420mm f5.6 Symmar Convertible. I always thought a 165 / 305 casket set would make a very light 5X7 lens for walking.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The "dreaded #2" is dreaded precisely because it's been used as a "lump size" for all the specials and oddities.

150/2.8 Xenotar, 150/3.5 Xenar, 165/6.8 Angulon, 180/4.5 Xenar and 240/5.6 Symmar have all been sold in standard #2 Compur. However they have also all been sold in "specials", one of which is unfortunately listed as "#2" on the SK Grimes website.

Jim: You do realise, I hope, that the 165 Angulon was originally sold as a convertible? Rear is about 270mm f:12, front about 320mm f:14 if I remember correctly. So that and a 240 Symmar gives you 165, 240, 270, 320 and 420mm. But I don't know what you get if you combine an Angulon rear with a Symmar front cell...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    But I don't know what you get if you combine an Angulon rear with a Symmar front cell...
    Oatmeal?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Thanks for all the help

I was able to locate a shutter to fit my 305 repro claron on ebay. I bought a 240 Symmar in a #2 Compur after checking with the seller about the thread sizes. Turns out he had a similar vintage repro claron that he had already mounted in the shutter and found that it fit. He had also worked out the f stop conversions for the 305 in that shutter.
    Thanks again,
    Doug Webb

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

One more note

Forgot to mention but may be of use to someone. The cell spacing for the #2 Compur shutter is the same for the 240 5.6 Symmar and the 305 Repro Claron I mounted.
    Doug Webb

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin