Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,838   Online: 1089

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Sorry Oren! I've been wanting one of these for a long time now. I was willing to risk the sellers No Return policy because I want to learn to fix these things, too, and if I have to repair this one, I won't be broken hearted.
    No sweat. You got the D, I got the B, and we both paid very little. What's not to like? Will look forward to hearing of your adventures with it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, I have a 3x4 rb also. I have a half dozen graflex holders, as well as a dozen of the type 5 standard 3x4 holders. The standard ones fit my speed and kalart press cameras as well as my 1926 Trona with a spring back attachment. When I use up the dozen sheets of film in the Graplex holders on a shoot, I switch to a 6x6 graplex roll film hoilder and adjust my shooting eye or I switch cameras.

It's a great camera. I feel like Weston when I take it out and shoot, especially on 17 mile drive near Carmel.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    cool beans jay!

sounds like you have one nice camera
    oh - you can remove the chimney by tilting it at least in the bigger
    ones, there are clips that hold it on to the camera. you'll then see
    a few screws and a piece of metal that hold the glass in place.

don't seem like i need to say
    "have fun"

so i'll say "don't forget to (re)wind"

- john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bag mags are great, and are simple to use. You take the shot, pull the rod on the bottom to move the septum most of the way into the bag and then pull it the rest of the way with your hand using the bag, and then slide the septum into the back of the stack. One attraction of bag mags over Grafmatics is that the bag mags load from the back, so that if you don't shoot the whole stack, you can easily remove the exposed sheets from the back of the magazine, without disturbing the unexposed sheets.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    I have, and love, a 3x4 Graflex, too. The Super D model has two advantages over the older ones, namely a Kodak Ektalite ground glass (Fresnel screen), and a semi-automatic diaphragm (which is a damn good thing, since it's nearly impossible to reach, or even see, the aperture ring). Two of my three bag-mags were still NOS in their original boxes -- sometimes the lifter rod sticks and they have to go to the darkroom. Many were sold with the semi-auto 190mm Ektar (from the 4x5 model) for portrait use. I always wanted one, but they go for big bucks on ebay when they do (rarely) come up. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Satin snow?
    That's what I plan on going with, I just need to get some funds together first.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the world of the graflex slr! I have a D 4x5 and an RB auto 3x4. These are great cameras, a lot of fun to work with and work on, I've repaired various things on mine, reset the shutter tension etc, you'll find they are very simple and friendly to work on yourself. There are some great lenses out there to play with, and often quite reasonable as they don't have shutters. A graflex gallery would be great, I'd put some stuff up there. I use grafmatics with the 4x5, and some regular holders, and I have a roll film back for the 3x4. I've also used a bag mag in the past, but not recently. Make sure the bag is clean, and the inside of the camera too, they can get pretty dusty. If you haven't seen it already, check out Graphic Graflex Photography by Morgan and Morgan. You may be able to find it at your library. A good resource and insight into how things were done in the 40's.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jay, I rarely have equipment envy but you are making things hard for me!
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, my B just arrived. It needs to be cleaned, and at this point I don't know whether the shutter timing is even remotely correct, but the glass is in decent shape and the mechanical functions basically seem to work, so it should be possible to start making pictures with this contraption with relatively modest effort.

This looks like it's going to deliver a very high fun/$ ratio...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jay, what film are you going to use?
    art is about managing compromise

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin