Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,020   Online: 1023

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the same camera -- it was a gift about 5 years ago. My only hint is to make sure that you have the shutter tensioned at the right setting. Mine has the graflock back, so I also have a Singer rollfilm adapter for 6x9 size negs. Pretty amazing camera, and of course, anyone seeing you operate it will be very curious about it.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    Large Format
    hey jay

i have the 4x5 version of your camera
    it is a really fun camera to use, but kind of awkward at times.
    it is a pleasure to look down the chimney and see and image right side up, but the trade off is remembering to stop down after you focus (if you don't shoot wide open that is), and to remember to re-wind the shutter after you expose.

not sure how much your mirror 'slaps', but you can release the mirror without the shutter if you want to ... i know mine makes a heck of a racket when it goes up ... when you store it, make sure all your tensions are "0"'ed out, you'll stretch out the springs....

good luck!
    -john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jay, you may want to watch on eBay for a bag mag or two instead of converting it to use regular holders. 12 shots in one holder is a nice thing to have. With my 2 bag mags I have 24 shots before reloading anything. Now if the J&C 400 would hurry up and arrive in 3x4....
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Hi Jeremy.

I thought about the bag mags, but worried they'd be too fussy to use, and too prone to age-related issues of leather stiffening and light leaks. What kind of advice can you give me regarding choosing and using a bag mag?

Jay
    My bag mags work great but dust in the bag can be a problem. However once properly cleaned they are fine
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jeremy.

I thought about the bag mags, but worried they'd be too fussy to use, and too prone to age-related issues of leather stiffening and light leaks. What kind of advice can you give me regarding choosing and using a bag mag?

Jay
    Jay, I have one which is perfect and another which needs to have the leather replaced. Jon (Nanian) said he had his leather replaced by a shoe repair place (I believe).

blog
    website

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have an earlier version of the same camera in 3x4 and am waiting for film to show up before I'm out with it. My lens is a Bausch and Lomb, probably a 150, but there's no markings on it. I considered the bag mag but I like film holders. That way I can shoot differerent speeds and flavors when I want. I'll be Ziatype contact printing mine.

Congrats. Maybe we should get a club going inside APUG?

Shooter
    Large Format
    So now I know who outbid me on this one earlier today. If it's at all in good shape, I do think you will still have gotten a good deal on it. I ended up buying the quarter-plate "B" offered by the same seller, that closed a few minutes later.

I agree that it's a very cool format. I've accumulated a small handful of Graflex-type holders, and am looking forward to giving this contraption a try...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll have to put mine to work this week and grab some shots with it. Mine really needs a new SatinSnow glass added to it for anything outside of bright light, though.

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Jay, I have one which is perfect and another which needs to have the leather replaced. Jon (Nanian) said he had his leather replaced by a shoe repair place (I believe).
    yup -

i had my bag replaced by an place in boston that repairs and makes leather-goods. not so much shoes, but handbags, hats, nice coats &C ...
    it was years ago, not sure if they are still in business ...
    but just the same, there must be a place near you, just make sure that they do a "lightproof stitch" ..

- john

Shooter
    Large Format
    jay

i'm not sure about the smaller formats, but the 4x5 version's holders are a little bigger than a standard film holder. i have often thought of making an edge that i can slide my standard film holders into, to make them the same size as a graflex holder ( with grooves and all ) but i never got around to do it ... should be easy to do though, kind of stays on the camera, and using friction keeps the holder in place .... gaffer tape works wonders too -- thanks ross lowell! ( i use that to keep my polariod-back on the camera )

have fun!
    -john

Thanks, John. That info will open up more possible candidates for me.

Sorry Oren! I've been wanting one of these for a long time now. I was willing to risk the sellers No Return policy because I want to learn to fix these things, too, and if I have to repair this one, I won't be broken hearted.

I think I can modify the back to accept standard film holders in a non-destructive/reversible way that would also allow me to use the original holders and accessories. If I could only find 4 1/4" rollfilm! How cool would that be? I suppose the bag mag is a viable alternative, and probably easier to process sheets than a 4 1/4" roll, but still.......

Thanks again, guys.

Jay

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin