Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,459   Online: 1035

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Infinity

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole,

Looks like a beautiful camera. It is intended for use as a 4" 5" field camera is it not? How big and heavy is it since it appears to have a 550mm of bellows, 74mm of left and right shift, and 80mm of rise and fall?

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Weight is 3.75 kg, or about 7 lb. So it's not a lightweight...

I guess it's about half a kilo heavier with the original bull-hide bag (!), and another 150g or so since it can be closed with a lens inside. I put a 150mm Germinar-W on it just to check; it's not even close to interfering with anything.

As far as I know the only other cameras to have this much shift/rise/tilt/swing/whatever are monorail cameras which are not exactly "field-friendly". This one is...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole,

That is kind of the weight that I expected. My Linhof Technikardan 45S weighs about 3600gm including the camera, the added fresnel lens, and 2 Arca Swiss QR plates attached to the collapsible rail.

But the Technikardan 45S only has about 500mm of bellows, 55mm left and right shift front and back, front rise of 50mm and 20mm of fall, and 50mm of rear rise.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    WOW!!! Never saw... never imagined... anything like that before! Absitively posolutely beautiful!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole, that's more than wonderful. --- But you do realize that you'll have to change your avatar, don't you? I want to see you handholding the Infinity with the same apparent ease as you hold the 5x7 Technika.
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll have to admit, Ole, I've never associated the adjective, sexy, with a camera. But, your Carbon Infinity definitely qualifies.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Wow! That is a work of technology & art!

It is beautiful! I am certain you will enjoy it.

Corey

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Carbon Infinity Manual?

Hello all,

The Carbon Infinity is a very sexy camera. After some searching, I found two examples for sale in Europe aside from Ole's. Was too late on one and was lucky enough to find another one. I have already put the downpayment on a used one but it comes without a manual (yes a downpayment, as it is gonna cost me an arm and a leg and after selling my my sinar F2 set and also my back-up sinar F it was still not enough to make a full payment).

Would anyone here have a copy of Carbon Infinity manual?

Thanks in advance.

Edwin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1
    But the Technikardan 45S only has about 500mm of bellows, 55mm left and right shift front and back, front rise of 50mm and 20mm of fall, and 50mm of rear rise.
    Rich
    That's before you get into the indirect movements, of course.

I remember the Carbon Infinity when it came out. I thought at the time that it was staggeringly beautiful and superbly made, but rather heavy and not actually especially versatile -- though the 'clam shell' design is really nice.

Was I just rationalizing because I couldn't (and indeed still can't) still afford one? I'm not sure. Now that I regard 4x5 inch as 'big medium format' I don't want one as much anyway: my dream LF camera is probably a 5x7 inch/13x18 cm /half-plate Gandolfi on the whole-plate chassis.

As I recall the designers (and manufacturers) of the Carbon Infinity are still in the boat-building business in south Devon.

Cheers,

Roger

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't have a manual either, but I found the camera to be really well designed and intuitive. A bit of fumbling was all it took - all controls slide and lock easily and obviously, and I even managed to repack it without difficulties - first try!

And now comes the really big expenses - three lens boards and two shutters from SK Grimes: boards for Compund #3, Compur #2 (165 Angulon, 180 Tessar and 240 Symmar), and one for 00 Compur (90mm f:8 Super-Angulon, old type), shutter for the 150 Germinar-W, and one for the G-Claron 210mm (I ordered that second shutter before I bought the 210mm f:6.1 Xenar).

4x5" is "small large format" to me too - 5x7" is "normal", 18x24cm "big" and 24x30cm "real large format". But it's a good size for colour slides, the mistakes in processing aren't as painful as in the bigger sizes.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin