Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,255   Online: 796

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco Gilardetti
    Though, this may be worth experimenting. Lenses like the 127mm cover up to 6x7'' (inches, not centimeters!!!), the 180mm even 8x10''! If used at 4x5'' the results could perhaps be good if not awesome.

You will have a hard time firing and cocking the shutter, though! The pins which control shutter's operation would be INSIDE the camera's body.
    Please divulge your resource. Btw, I have a 135mm Optar that will barely give me much movements, at least untill I rack the bellows out, but then I'm not at infinity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    I think the auto wind back for RB is actually 6 x 8 (?) I think,
    It works both ways since the RB is basically a graflok back. I have a Horseman 6x9 back on my rb. I only get a 76mm wide image though. I also used that same back on a baby graphic. Also used a 645 RB back on a baby graphic.

Sometimes it takes some clearancing to make them work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    Please divulge your resource. Btw, I have a 135mm Optar that will barely give me much movements, at least untill I rack the bellows out, but then I'm not at infinity.
    The source is the link posted above by Troy Ammons.

I'll paste here the data sheet of the 127mm for your convenience:

127mm f/3.5 Specifications
    Optical Construction 6 elements/4 groups
    Angle of View 39°
    Diaphragm Automatic
    Minimum Aperture 32
    Shutter Seiko #1 mechanical lens shutter, 1~1/400 sec., T (time), X contact (flash synchronization at all speeds)
    Equivalent Focal Length for 35mm 62mm
    Minimum Focusing Distance 2' 1.2" / 639mm
    Magnification 0.36x
    Area Covered 6.1 x 7.6" / 155 x 192mm
    Filter Size 77mm
    Lens Hood Screw-in
    Dimensions (L x W) 2.9 x 3.8" / 74 x 97.2mm
    Weight 1 lb. 12 oz. / 780 g.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even though Mamiya list the lens coverage as fairly large I doubt any lenses beyond a 150mm lens would work for LF due to vignetting at the rear of the lens mount. I ran into the same problem with using mamiya press lenses for 4x5. The numbers must be for the optics only. I looked at photos of the 180, 250, 350 and 500 and none of them look like they would work without vignetting.

Actually the 150 rear element is a little recessed, so it is possible it could vignette also.

The 90mm looks like it barely covers 4x5, so no movements and the 127mm lens probably would work also, but I dont have a 127mm lens laying around to look at.

I think also another downer is the weight. My RB 90mm lens weighs almost 2#.

3 rb lenses would weigh more than my super graphic with a 150mm G-Claron lens.

It an interesting idea though.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    B&H has one: http://www.adorama.com/LWLBFM.html
    this could be used to rig a Toyo or other lensboard. you may not like the price, and the other option requires some frankenstine tom foolery with a user body to behead the front standard, but it has been done in previous posts with a Toyo View camera.

Best of Luck!
    Last edited by smcclarin; 03-02-2011 at 05:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often you will discover in life, that temerity yields little that quiet observation and decisive action can!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can quite easily adapt rb/rz lenses to LF. Look up Erie Patsellis on APUG, he has a nice solution which allows you to trigger the leaf shutter. My method is a bit simpler, I just hand shutter; all I do is fasten the lens onto a makeshift 1/8" thick lensboard with a big hole in it... I use a rear lens cap to attach the lens to the board. Works like a charm.

Coverage... there is quite a lot at close focus. I have done some 5x7 macro with some tilt using an rz 110/2.8 lens. Even at infinity focus, you can fill most of a sheet of 4x5 film with these lenses. But for portrait / closeup etc. you can easily fill 4x5. (Note: Per Volquartz sometimes uses a 35mm lens for LF macro...)

The main thing is that the rb/rz lenses are quite heavy and will put a good deal of strain on a camera. I have an all-metal 5x7 rittreck that stands up well, it's very robust. A cambo would probably do well. But a wooden field camera... don't try to put an rb/rz lens on that. You'll probably break something.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    xkaes,
    Yes I have seen a lens board adapter for LF, and from different vendors. Don't remember who had it; ie,
    an eBay seller from China, Calumet, etc...? It was advertised as being for RB [and] RZ lenses.
    As stated by others, unsure how you were supposed to cock and fire the shutter, and without electrical control for the RZ lenses,
    how you would obtain different speeds, other than the [dead battery] default speed of 1/400th.
    I think this adapter was intended more for RB lenses, and those using a digital back on their LF cameras.
    Price was high, in the $450-$550/USD range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Mamiya 127mm f3.8 lens covers 4x5.

I just tried it on my Tachihara 45GF. Coverage is tight with no movements practicable. Incidentally the 155mm X 192mm "area covered" specification for the 127mm lens refers to the amount of subject the lens sees at its closest focussing position. The bellows focussing on the Mamiya RB67 makes all lenses "macro" lenses; a very nice feature.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes that's right, it is not an illuminated area but a 'macro' area. The numbers would be outrageous if they were really for illumination, they'd cover more area than many large format lenses.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmm I have the 180mm.... Im going to see how how much it covers.. brb.

Edit:

The 180mm Sekor C f/4.5

It covers more than 4x5".. not sure by how much.

But I set the lens to infinite focus with the bellows., an object 2 meters away (but infinite focus on the lens/bellows for that lens) is fully covered over the ground glass.

Edit 2:

Still covering it with 2.8cm of rise (max on speed graphic.. got a CC400.. but might be a PITA to set up at night.. will try on tripod in day time) = 6.2 inches so far, but not sure how evenly since its not light tight.. just holding it there.

But it bodes very well for closer focus distances such as for portrait!
    Last edited by Athiril; 03-05-2011 at 06:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin