Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,553   Online: 962

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Interesting! So maybe if a 90mm covers 5x7....a 165mm may, and I say 'may' cover 8x10??! ;-)

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by f7.7
    Interesting! So maybe if a 90mm covers 5x7....a 165mm may, and I say 'may' cover 8x10??! ;-)
    Like the 90mm was intended for 9x12cm but is mostly used on 4x5", so the 165mm was intended for 18x24cm and is often used on 8x10". The difference in coverage stated and needed is identical. A 120mm Angulon on 8x10" would look as "bad" as a 90mm on 5x7".

For the purpose of contact prints, a 165mm Angulon is more than adequate for 8x10". Maybe I should give mine a try on 24x30cm (9.5x12")?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Sadly I didn't have the 165mm(older version) and the 165mm I have here now which is the newer type just for sake of comparison. I will be able to pop this one on the 8x20 and get the maximum circle and see how much is useable though.

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Actually since I wrote that last post I am now in possession of the two different types of 165mm Angulon, a Super in a Copal #3, a barrel Angulon and another in a Copal #3 so I'll see what I can garner from them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A rough and ready test for edge-of-field performance is to shoot ( or view ) an unfrosted light bulb - the bare filaments are easy to see and display most of the things we want to know about.

Even better: project a 100 watt lamp through a single surface cheese grater ( a piece of diffusion medium, i.e. paper, between the lamp and grater. )

For contact prints, viewing the groundglass is sufficient. For enlarging, view the image through clear glass and a loupe. For obsessive results, use a microscope's eyepiece and no glass.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Scanning at 600 dpi and displaying it full size on a screen is equivalent to a 6 to 8 times enlargement. Enough to take a 5x7" negative to 40x54", or a 4x5" to 32x40". If it looks acceptable from "normal screen distance", it will look even better on the wall!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin