Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,615   Online: 1164

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shen-Hao 4x5 bag bellows usage

Have a question regarding Shen-Hao bag bellows handling of normal, 150mm lens.
    I found using my 90mm wide angle would most certainly benefit from utilizing bag bellows instead fo regular one. Applying movements in landscape work is quite a bit of stuggle with 90mm lens bearing in mind how close the lens shall be brought to GG for infinity focus, so I'm leaning towards bag bellows purchase.
    In fact, I have only two lenses so far: 150mm (normal) and 90mm, and the normal one gets most use (partially due to moveemnts difficulties with 90mm in landscapes), albeit I'm getting used more and more to apply WA also.
    The question is whether Shen-Hao bag bellows will allow full utilization of 150mm lens (or at least landscape-wise - near 150mm bellows extension to handle infinity) ? I wouldn't like the idea of having to swap the bellows every time swithing between 90mm and 1500 lenses in field.

Will be glad to hear relevant experiences/advises.

Thanks in advance, Alex

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, for landscape use the bag bellows will easily accomodate the 150, even to moderate close focus (15 feet or so). You can even get away with infinity focusing a 210 with the bag bellows. I would not store the camera with the bag bellows on it however. The bag bellows don't fold well inside the camera when closed for transport. Get the bag bellows- for the Shen Hao, it's cheap - $100. It is also very well made, of thick, pliable leather. It will open up possibilities for using other wide lenses as well... I have a 75mm I shoot from time to time on the Shen Hao and it works quite well with the bag bellows, but ironically, I don't need it that much for the 75, since I seldom need any movements with the 75 for landscape purposes, it's so wide, and the standard bellows will compress enough to get infinity focus. If you go any wider than 75, you'll want the bag again so that you can get the lens close enough to the GG without using a recessed board.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Flyingcamera pretty much covered the issue and I agree the bag bellows will easily handle your 150. The only caution is to make sure the bellows doesn't sag into your view when using the longer lenses with it. Even after checking for sag on the ground glass, I always make sure the bellows are still tented out after inserting the film holder since that action alone can can jar things and make them droop. They're great, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys, seems the way to go....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second the bellows interference check. It's killed more than one shot with my 90mm. I don't have any problems folding my camera with the bag bellows attached, just push the excess towards the middle. You need the bag bellows with the 90mm and this camera. period
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, understood.
    In fact, I just back from 2 and half days of a photo hiking, did several tracks and albeit my regular 150mm lens is the most used one yet, my WA came handy more then few times. Well, I was able to use effectively even with regular bellows, however rise/fall movements where very tight. I guess intensive usage of this kind isn't really healthy for the bellows, so I will go for bag bellows anwyay.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A 90mm lens is plenty usable on the Shen-Hao with the normal bellows. However I'm glad I got one because it definitely helps in certain situations. And the price is very reasonable.

I don't bother using it with my 150mm lens. It only takes a few minutes to swap in and out the bag bellows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One other benefit to the bag bellows is that the inside suede isn't as reflective as the interior liner of the normal bellows. I've lost a whole lot of night shots because some light source was focused onto a bellow pleat that was then reflected back onto the film. The bag bellows are standard equipment for my night stuff unless I absolutely need a longer lens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin