Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,305   Online: 816

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Just received my B & J Press 4x5 & have questions?

I just received my B & J 4x5 Press camera with a Kodak Ektar 127 lens.
    I have no idea how to use this thing! Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Brad

Shooter
    Large Format
    Brad - This page http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info.html has scans of B&J catalogs which will show the "features" of your camera. Also there is an instruction book for a Pacemaker Graphic that is similar enough to your B&J it should help you figure out most of what you need to know. And then http://www.graflex.org/ has tons of information on Graphics. Again, your camera isn't that different than a Graphic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How far have you gotten?

1) Have you opened the front? Don't laugh you wouldn't be the first who couldn't

2) Opened the back to expose the ground glass?

3) Opened the lens shutter so you can see? I don't know if that lens has a preview mode or not. If not you might have to use a cable release to hold the lens open.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Robertson
    "... This page http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info.html has scans of B&J catalogs..."
    Thanks for the link, Len. All kinds of good stuff there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been able to open the front. I've exposed the ground glass.

It has a Busch flash supermatic shutter. This I'm not sure on how to operate.
    Where would you hook the cable release?

I'm just excited to get out & use this camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Brad - This page: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...ttera/p12.html may be close enough to your shutter to help you. There is one lever to cock the shutter and a second to trip the shutter. A third lever opens the shutter for focusing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the info. What's the object in the upper left corner by the lens?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails supermatic shutter web.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bireley
    Thanks for all the info. What's the object in the upper left corner by the lens?
    I think it's a solenoid for firing flashbulbs - there's one on my Speed Graphic too - I don't know how you would go about making it operational though...

Hope this helps,

Lachlan

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Brad, the object in the upper left is a solenoid. It trips the shutter and also completes a circuit that would fire a flash. It was an aftermarket accessory. Typically it would use the same voltage as the batteries in the flash bulb holder. 2 or 3 size "D"'s. You can disconnect it and simply use the cable release threads behind it on the shutter. The cable release socket is simply a flat hole with threads on these shutters. BTW the Ektar 127 is a very nice sharp old lens. When you "cock" the shutter, push the button and it should open for focusing. When looking at something far away it should focus when the lensboard area is about 5" away from the ground glass. That would give you a place to start anyways. Then get a dark sweatshirt and stick your head in the hole backwards, wrap the waist around the back of the camera and enjoy the view. Upside down yes, but you'll be surprised that your brain doesn't tell you that for too long. Now roll the front board in and out until things get sharp. That's all there is too it except for a lifetime of learning the rest.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One more thing. On the top left (photographer's left) corner of the body near the back there may be a very small catch, which allows you to release and rotate the back. I don't know if all B&J Press cameras have a rotating back, but mine does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin