Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,569   Online: 903

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Who uses infinity stops?

My toyo 45AII came with infinity stops but I have never bothered to use them. I know how but I just focus on the glass even at infinity and I never work hand held. I wondered when people use them if at all.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had a crown graphic with infinity stops set up for the original 135mm Xenar. I used them every single time I shot with that lens. They made setup a completely mindless operation. For all my other lenses, I marked "soft" infinity stops on the bed with a sharpie.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use them on my Technika. I shoot with the rangefinder sometimes, so they're necessary for that, and they just make setup faster, but I don't use stops for every lens.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I used to have my Linhof Technika IV, I used to use I believe 3 sets of Infinity Stops. They proved very useful to set-up the camera quickly. Now with my Linhof Technikardan 45S this is no longer possible. The Technikardan is a far more flexible camera, but no longer offers rangefinder focusing or knowing ahead of time the focusing distance for infinity.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing that I forgot to mention, they are worth putting on the bed of the camera for setting infinity for a negligible amount of weight.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm. My little Century Graphic has a set of infinity stops set up for the normal lens it no longer has. And my little Speed Graphic has a pair of sets of infinity stops set up for, respectively, the normal lens it no longer has and for a 10" telephoto lens I've sold.

So why do I keep the stops and what do I use them for?

Well, on both cameras they're close enough to right for a normal lens that I can just pull the front standard to them before using my 101 Ektar. The Speed's inner set are set up on the outer bed rails to allow the RF to be used with a 4"/2 Taylor Hobson that makes infinity with the front standard on the inner rails. I have a spacer that goes between the inner stops and the front standard and that's what puts the 4"/2 where it should be for use with the RF. I focus all of my lenses but that one on the GG.
    The stops are close enough to some of my other lenses' infinity positions, sometimes with front standard pulled back to the stops' front, to be useful for setting up.

But on Graphics the stops have another function entirely. They prevent unintended swings. To deal with this I've had a pair of spacers made, both with very shallow T-shaped cross section. The crossbar rides on the rails, the lower part fits between 'em. One for each camera, and the Speed's spacer does double duty. With the spacers, I can put the front standard anywhere on the rails and ensure that it is square to them.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a 45AII, and setup 2 infinity stops, which I use.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Dan,
    why dont you move the infinity stops to where the lenses you use are?

I need to pick up an angle square or something to make sure my stops are in the proper place. I use them on my Century Graphic also. Rangefinders rock!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't use infinity stops on my 45AX. I just pull the lens standard out to about the right spot, lock it down and focus from there. But, I can see where they would be handy.

When doing out-of-body explorations, however, it is adviseable to stop at infinity. There really is nothing beyond that point, so it's a waste of time.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just recently started using the infinity stops on my Graflex Pacemaker do to the difficulty of acutally using a loupe to fine focus. I have difficulty in viewing the gg with the folding viewfinder, thus I have found it works great for quick set ups and the occasional hand held shot in LF. As mentioned elsewhere, you can adjust them to the focus setting you wish for your particular lens. It can be very beneficial in doing some LF candid portraits etc. Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin