Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,369   Online: 865

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wide or long lenses for Speed Graphic

I was just wondering what the widest angle lens that can be fitted to a Speed Graphic is - I have heard mutterings of 65mm - is that correct and if so how much movement is available? Also what is the longest lens that can be fitted to a Speed Graphic and still be able to focus reasonably close (This can include telephotos)? As they only have double extension bellows I presume anything non telephoto over about 250mm will be too long.

All help much appreciated,

Lachlan

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't know how short you can go. I do know that a 90mm Angulon will work just fine. It is a hassle however because at infinity, the lens does not come out of the house. I think movements would be severely restricted for anything shorter.

The non-telephoto 210mm is about the longest that is of practical use, if you want to be able to focus reasonably close.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    90 - 250

120 - 210 is more practical

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    90mm Angulon is the shortest I have ever gone, longest, I have used both 300mm and 380mm. The later lens is a 15 inch Wollensak, and it appears to have been designed/manufactured with the Speed/Crown Graphic in mind, so not sure about other brands/types, but 300mm can do.

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i've used a 58mm.
    i regularly use a 65mm super angulon, 10' and 15" tele optars, no problem with rise and fall.

john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lachlan, it depends on the Speed Graphic.

The shortest lenses I use on my 2x3 Pacemaker Speed are a 58/5.6 Grandagon and a 1.75"/2.8 Elcan. The Grandagon will, I understand, just cover 4x5. The Elcan really covers only 6x6, maybe 6x7 if you don't care about image quality in the very corners, and should make infinity on a 4x5 Pacemaker too. Not a lens for 6x9.

The longest lens that's comfortable to use on my 2x3 Speed is a 12"/4 Taylor Hobson Telephoto. It makes infinity with the front standard on the inner rails, i.e., inside the box. At infinity it vignettes slightly -- a couple of mm at each end of the frame are lost -- on my camera because the compressed bellows gets in the way. I understand that this lens will just cover 4x5, so it should be usable on a 4x5 Speed too. The lens was made for Vinten F95 and early Agiflite cameras.

The longest lens I can use on my 2x3 Speed is a 305/9 Apo Nikkor, front-mounted on a Copal #1 with extension tubes as needed between lens and shutter. Looks ridiculous, works well, focuses to 1:10.

The longest lens commonly used on 4x5 Graphics is the 15" TeleOptar that Jnanian mentioned. Schneider and Rodenstock also made tele lenses in around that focal length, and I'm pretty sure they'll do too.

Your question about movements puzzles me. As is well known, Graphics have minimal movements. A little front shift that's hard to use without getting unintended swings, a little front rise, useless back tilt. And with lenses that make infinity inside the box rise is limited by the wire-frame finder, which will hit the box before all of the 10 mm or so of rise that's available has been used. This can be cured by dismantling the front standard and removing the finder.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My Crown Graphic has enough movements for my landscapes - around 30mm rise, 30mm fall (with drop bed and full back tilt), forward tilt (drop bed, full rise and tilt back), as well as the others you mentioned.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This from the graflex.org website:

The widest suitable for a Speed is 80-90mm.
    The Crown Graphics and Super Graphics have a thinner chassis than the speed graphics and can be used with a 65mm lens on 4x5.

note that this is speaking of the 4x5 crown and speed graphics. The speed graphics doesnt allow for wider angles because the focal-plane shutter doesnt allow the inner rail to go as far back.

if you have a rececced lensboard, you may be able to go a little wider on a crown. You probably wont be able to use the focal plane shutter on the speed if you do this, or it may not work at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    i've used a 58mm.
    i regularly use a 65mm super angulon, 10' and 15" tele optars, no problem with rise and fall.

john
    I too have used a 58mm as well as a 75mm, they wind up inside the camera therefore movements are nil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by monomon
    My Crown Graphic has enough movements for my landscapes - around 30mm rise, 30mm fall (with drop bed and full back tilt), forward tilt (drop bed, full rise and tilt back), as well as the others you mentioned.
    Directions for modifying a Graphic to allow forward tilt have been published in a number of places. But when I've tried to use drop bed plus back tilt and front rise to get fall or forward tilt I've found that the range of focal lengths over which the combinations work is quite limited.

It might help if we defined which size of Graphics we're talking about. Darin gave, I think, limits for 4x5s. You are clearly thinking of 4x5s too. I shoot 2x3s, which are smaller and have less.

Lachlan, what size Graphic are you fantasizing about today?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin