Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,594   Online: 825

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

B+W 67E 023 filter. What is it?

I purchased a filter on EBAY, thinking I was purchasing a "deep yellow" filter (I already have a light yellow filter).

The filter is labeled B+W 67E 023 3x

The filter, however, looks way more like an orange filter, when compared to the yellow filter I already have.

Does anyone know what exactly I purchased? I couldn't reference it on the the B+W site. I don't know what the 67E refers to, but 023, I believe, should indicate a deep yellow filter. The filter is sized to fit 67mm lens diameter, though.

ideas?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think that the 23 filters are supposed to be orange. Deep yellow might be seen as 12 or 15. 25 filter is red.

3x might refer to exposure compensation though it seems a bit much for an orange filter IMHO.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD
    I purchased a filter on EBAY, thinking I was purchasing a "deep yellow" filter (I already have a light yellow filter).

The filter is labeled B+W 67E 023 3x

The filter, however, looks way more like an orange filter, when compared to the yellow filter I already have.

Does anyone know what exactly I purchased? I couldn't reference it on the the B+W site. I don't know what the 67E refers to, but 023, I believe, should indicate a deep yellow filter. The filter is sized to fit 67mm lens diameter, though.

ideas?
    B+W has this information on their site. Looks like a filter factor of 3 (That is not three stops, rather three times the exposure, about a stop and a half) and it should be deep yellow. I have some deep yellow filters that look pretty orange myself, so I am guessing that is what it is. The 67E is the thread diameter and pitch, I believe, and as you found, it is just a standard 67mm diameter filter thread.

Paul

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ok, I just found out that 67e is the german notation for 67mm from the folks at filter connection.

This thing is very orange, though. When I lay it on a a white sheet of paper, the hue looks almost the same as my Tiffen orange 16 filter.

Disappointing, as I was expecting a high quality truly deep yellow filter.

Arg!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    a #15 [Deep yellow] and a #16 [light orange] aren't that different. According to B&W that is thier version of a #15.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The 023 isn't too different from a Wratten 15, as Nick says. Both are a little orangeish. Try it before returning it. I like it when I want something stronger than yellow, but not as dramatic as orange.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    The 023 isn't too different from a Wratten 15, as Nick says. Both are a little orangeish. Try it before returning it. I like it when I want something stronger than yellow, but not as dramatic as orange.

Well, no doubt about it. The B+W is orange, not yellow, with a little orange. It is ORANGE! I guess maybe there is variation between manufacturers over what an 023 should be, but this is an orange filter! I have a Tiffen 16 orange, which seems like the same hue, and it is ok, but I prefer yellow, as I am concerned that orange will just kill the tones on green vegetation too much.

I have a yellow filter, with is labeled as a k2, and has about a 2x factor. Was hoping for something a little deeper, but still yellow. Heliopan makes a yellow 4x, but, who knows. I might order it and get an orange filter too!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could look for a Wratten number 12. Don't know what that is in the German system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeff,

Though I haven't shot B&W for a very long time, I would suggest that you follow David's suggestion and test it before sending it back. You may want to test it against your other filters including your K2 yellow and your Tiffen 16 orange filters. Keep careful notes. Even though it looks more orange than you think or want, the film may not react as you expect.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A really useful booklet from B+W is their catalog, if you can get hold of one. Try calling Schneider USA My biggest problem is fin ding it when I need the information.
    According to the book a B+W 023 is a dark yellow with a factor of 3 and has no Wratten equivalent.
    The book I have lists the following:
    B+W # (wratten #)
    UV (010)
    021 light yellow (2E)
    022 med yellow (8)
    023 dark yellow ---
    040 yellow-orange (16)
    041 red-orange (22)

You also have to keep in mind appearance isn't everything and the response B&W film is not the same as the eye's response.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin