Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,653   Online: 848

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Images

240 f9 g-claron.

will it really cover 8x10? The specs say no; threads here say yes. Which is it?

How do these handle color?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on how much loss of quality you'll accept and still say it covers. It won't meet Schneider's MTF requirement at 8x10, which is why they say it won't cover. Their requirements are very high, though. The people I know who actually use it, including me, think it covers about 80* at f45, which gives it coverage to spare. So if you're taking regular pictures, you'll be fine. If your shooting test charts, you'll have a drop off of quality at the extreme edges. I also use a 210 g-claron on my 8x10. For what I do, it covers 8x10. The G-claron is basically a modern dagor.

The only way for you to really answer your question is to get a lens and test it. They really aren't all that expensive. If you pay shipping, I could lend you one in a barrel if you promise to treat it well and send it back promptly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know about color because I only shoot black and white, but the 240 G-Clarons do cover 8x10 nicely. Stopped down to about f/32-45 there is room for a fair amount of movements. It's a nice lens.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark,

As far as I know, all the G Clarons are only single coated lenses. So consider this for their color reproduction. But others can comment better about how they reproduce color.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1
    Mark,

As far as I know, all the G Clarons are only single coated lenses. So consider this for their color reproduction. But others can comment better about how they reproduce color.

Rich
    Other than increasing flare somewhat, why would a single coating change the color reproduction of the lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter,

I can not say for sure, but others have tended to suggest that single coated lenses often do not produce as good color as multicoated lenses. Here is a case for someone like Kerry to step in and make some comment. They should probably be better shielded from possible flare as you mention.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

It'll cover and cover well. Very sharp corner to corner with plenty of movements available, even more if you stop it down.

I have a 240 g-claron which I use on an 8x10 Deardorff and it is so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Coverage is fine. So is the color.
    Mine is as sharp at F9 as F22.

Its a very sharp lens. I have 2 G-Claron lenses and if they made a 90mm lens I would have 3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Put me down for another user of the 240 f9. Plenty of coverage, small, light, wonderful lens. Don't shoot much e6 in 8x10, but if you're worried about color, you could do much worse than one of these. Just do it! tim

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've shot 8x10 color with my 240 G-Claron and it works great! I don't have any scans of that particular shot, though if you're interested, pm me here and I can see about scanning it and posting a link to it here.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin