Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,487   Online: 910

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Jas. W. Queen & Co. Rapid Rectilinear 13 3/4" focus, but can't focus!

I just received this barrel lens...Jas. W. Queen & Company 13 3/4" lens which is suppose to be a full plate lens, but I can't get it to focus on my Deardorff V8 gg. The front lens is convex ( while the rear lens cell is convex in the opposite direction ) , i.e., facing out toward the gg's direction. Does anyone know what the glass configuration should be for this lens? I am thinking a piece of glass lens may be missing, but I am not certain. Any insight and assistance would be appreciated. Thanks. Jon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Have you tried reversing the front and rear cells? (or just putting the lens into the lensboard as what you think is backwards).

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rrankin
    Have you tried reversing the front and rear cells? (or just putting the lens into the lensboard as what you think is backwards).

Richard
    I have not tried reversing the lens cells, but the metal rims appear as if they were made to fit in their present configuration. The rear cell has ribbing similar to what one finds with the rear cell of a 5 1/2" Illex paragon or an 8x10 WA 7 1/4" Gundlach in a betax shutter, just to name a couple of lens I have which also have similar rear cell ribbing...for lack of a better descriptive term.

Jon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jonw
    . . . Does anyone know what the glass configuration should be for this lens? . . .
    Rapid Rectilinear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RR0001.gif  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rapid Rectilinear
    Attached Thumbnails

That is the configuration of the Queen cells. Thanks Jim.

Now, does anyone have suggestions as to why I am unable to focus it on the gg?

I did try each cell individually and neither would focus a viewable picture.

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi jon

i have seen cells put in barrels they shouldn't belong, and because the spacing was not right, nothing focused. have you tried to hold the each cell near a wall, or white piece of paper with a window or lightbulb nearby to focus it off-camera?

good luck!
    john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    hi jon

i have seen cells put in barrels they shouldn't belong, and because the spacing was not right, nothing focused. have you tried to hold the each cell near a wall, or white piece of paper with a window or lightbulb nearby to focus it off-camera?

good luck!
    john

Excellent suggestion John....But much to my dismay, this Queen barrel lens does not produce an image. I tried this method with other lens with success, but could not accomplish any image with this Queen barrel. I am guessing either these are the wrong cells or there is a missing lens. I will keep trying different distances with each cell to see if anything will work and I will also try the seller to see if he will give me a refund for this apparent paper weight.
    Jon

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I usually take the GG off the camera, stand in a dark room, and hold the lens out in front of the GG looking at a bright lightbulb and moving back and forth to see if I find a focus. You don't even need a camera.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    or in a dark room turn on one light bulb....and place the lens against the wall opposite the light, moving it slowly away from the wall....focusing the image on the wall

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use a long corridor with a window in one end and a cupboard door in the other. I focus the image of the window on the door, lens simply hand-held. If I then mark of the width of the image, I can read the focal length directly off my "pre-calibrated" previous scratches.

If the lens is a Rapid Rectilinear, there are only two lens groups of two elements each. Either one will give a viewable image, with a focal length of a bit more than twice that of the combined lens. If neither (or either) group won't give an image, it's not a RR.

Many Anastigmats consist of one group that will focus and one which won't. If neither will, you might have two front groups in one barrel...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin