Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,758   Posts: 1,670,776   Online: 732

Shooter
    Medium Format

Protecting ground glass

The last few months I have been shooting B&J 4X5, and the folding hood over the ground glass is dring me wonkers. When I open it up it tends to not want to open all the way, and when I get under the dark cloth it is just in my way. I want to take it off, but what do I do to protect the ground glass when carrying it about?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the folding hood on your B&J is like the one Toyo uses, it should also have a side release such that it can be swung out of the way entirely.

There are "commercial" GG protectors available, most being a plastic sandwich that slides over both sides of the GG. In the field, however, they represent one more loose item to contend with. I made my own out of Masonite, however, using nylon strapping for the hinge and Velcro straps to hold it in place.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just recently purchased a plastic protector. I got it for $17 from Bruce's View Camera Store on e-bay. Calument also makes these I think. It does give peace of mind when carrying the camera and is quickly removed to give full access to the GG. The folding hoods are a PITA (actually impossible) for trying to do accurate focus all around the screen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good afternoon Bruce Appel,

I don't have a folding hood on my 4x5, but I am making a ground glass protector. Since my camera is wood, I decided to get some nice tropical hardwoods to make my own protector. The idea is something nice looking, strong, and reasonably priced.

So I picked up a piece of Paduc for the center, and another lighter colour heavy grain wood for the sides. Roughly about $US 10 in hardwoods that are enough pieces to make two holders. This will become three pieces which will be glued together.

I got the idea to make one after seeing some plans on the SHUG. Plastic would be lighter, but I am more comfortable using a saw and a Dremel to make a wood protector to match my (mostly) wood camera. I will see if I can post some pics when I finish it.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've made a couple of ground glass protectors from foam core board. I've cut the board so it is a tight fit in the ground glass opening, and they just press it. You have to be careful in the field that these don't blow away as they are very light weight, but then they don't cost much either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bruce,
    As you already know the B&J hood has no side release or swing away attachment. It cannot easily be removed and replaced so if you are worried about protection for the GG it will be necessary to find a guard that works for you. I personally have not found anything that is really user friendly. At present I have velcro fasteners (loop)stuck on the top and bottom of the camera with a approximate 1 inch long tab of (hook) glued to a cut to size sheet of styrene. The tab reaches over the edges to fasten it in place. Not the best solution, but a workable one. I also might add that in the past 50 plus years of packing view cameras in the high country, on my back or via horse back or motorcycle I have never broken a single focussing panel. Others have, those who know me do not particularly think of me as being "lucky".

Charlie......................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't protect it, I can help is something happens!!!!!

Only kidding, I use the PVC slide on protection plates that go on ebay for about $12. The have worked out find for me.

Dave

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin