Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,678   Online: 1009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

Tripod for Deardorff question?

I am looking for a new tripod, used actually and was told to look at the RIES ones. Is a J100 enough or is the a A100 the way to go?

I am not going larger than 8x10 as that is good enough format for me.

Thanks,

kev

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hey Kev.
    I've been told the A100 Ries is the best way. But, I've fudged and used my J100 with the 250 head and that works as well and I have been using a Gitzo rig to hold up my Deardrof as well.
    So in a way. Yes to both Ries but I would say the A100 for safety sake.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto
    I am looking for a new tripod, used actually and was told to look at the RIES ones. Is a J100 enough or is the a A100 the way to go?

I am not going larger than 8x10 as that is good enough format for me.

Thanks,

kev
    Hi Kev,

You may want to also consider the Ries J1002. It weighs 3 pounds more than the J100 but 2 pounds less than the A100 and supports 25 pounds.

I purchased one of the earlier H100 tripods for my Linhof Technikardan 45S. I talked it over with Keith at Photo Plus East when I purchased it and Keith thought that it would be strong enough (this was many years ago). Even though I have the Ries, I usually use my Gitzo Carbon Fiber Tripods.

When I was looking at the Canham DLC45 at Photo Plus East this past October, Keith Canham had his cameras loaded on the Ries Tripods and shared the booth with Ries. He mentioned to me as aside, even though he liked the Ries tripods, he generally put his Canhams when he used them on the Carbon Fiber Gitzos (I believe due to the Gitzo weight and strength).

Talk to Keith at Ries if you want his guidance.

The other possibility are the Gitzo Carbon Fiber Tripods in the 1300 and 1500 series. They should be strong enough. But you would need to use some care due to the weight of the tripod.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    What head then?

I ahve a gitzo tripod not a carbon fiber one but a 1410 that I love. But I have a kirk ball head. When I was shooting 4x5 and MF it was fine but now with the 8x10 I am gettign vibration.

What head to you recommend?

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What head then?

I ahve a gitzo tripod not a carbon fiber one but a 1410 that I love. But I have a kirk ball head. When I was shooting 4x5 and MF it was fine but now with the 8x10 I am gettign vibration.

What head to you recommend?

Thanks,

Kev
    Hi Kev,

Having never shot anything larger than a Linhof Technikardan 45S, I can not say for sure.

Which Kirk head are you using? I presume that you are using the BH1.

When I got my new Gitzo 1257 LVL in trade for photos with Bogen, I purchased the new Markins M20 Ball head (I got the head without the QR). I purchased a 2.5" Kirk QR for the Ball Head. I know that the Markins M20 which is smaller than the Arca B1 Ball or the Bogen BH1 and is supposed to be able to have a load capacity of 90 pounds (2 pounds more than the Arca B1). My Markins M20 with the Kirk QR weighs only 20.4 oz. It is available in a left and a regular (r) version. It can be purchased from Nikonians or Markins America. Here is the Markins America link for the complete head and QR:

http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/M20.php

Markins has a demo of it supporting a Nikon 800mm lens on the site.

It should be strong enough. The only questions are the vibration and is it OK for adjustments of such a large camera.

Rich
    Last edited by naturephoto1; 04-21-2006 at 06:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Richard A. Nelridge

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    The problem I am having now with the head is the vibrations. Yes it is the BH1 head. It is great for up to 4x5 but now with the larger camera is just isnt working out.

I never thought about the head adn tripod combo before I got the camera. Bummer...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin

How tall are you ?
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem I am having now with the head is the vibrations. Yes it is the BH1 head. It is great for up to 4x5 but now with the larger camera is just isnt working out.

I never thought about the head adn tripod combo before I got the camera. Bummer...
    Hi Kev,

You may be experiencing vibrations between the tripod head and the tripod, not the tripod QR and the camera.

Markins has been making real efforts to limit vibrations in their tripod heads and other equipment. You may wish to send an e-mail or call them. They are in British Columbia, Canada.

Both Markins and Kirk Photo have been making special platforms as a modification for some of the Gitzo Carbon Fiber Tripods. The platforms attach to the tripod and the center columns are removed. As far as I know neither company makes such a platform for the Gitzo 1410 aluminum tripod however.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    All right, call me anal retentive if you must. I've edited the thread title...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

I've got both. IMHO the A100 (mine is actually a pre A-100) is the ideal for an 8x10 but the J is the way to go if you're taking your 'dorff hiking any great distance from the car or sking. HU-AH!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin