Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,651   Posts: 1,481,311   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

An antique camera found - help needed: pictures

Well, made a series of images of the camera in various positions and views including detailed ones. Here I attach a few, the full collection is on my site:
    http://www.zabrovsky.com/gallery.php - proceed to An antique camera gallery.
    There are descriptive images with my comments.
    I hope this will help to clarify what this camera is, its usage and anything related.
    Once entire back assembly is removed (it slides out), the internal image frame measures 104mm x 85mm (vertical ruler on the left site measures 8.5cm).
    With back assembly attached and GG removed, the frame area measures approx. 107mm x 85mm and the GG itself (inside its wooden frame) measures
    120mm x 90mm.
    Pictures on the site show internal spools (images are on my site) once entire back assembly is removed, however the spools appear to be permanently attached, can't see how they can be removed without disassambling the camera itself. This poses the question how roll film can be loaded...
    Hope this can throw a shed of light on what format this camera is, which kind of holders for sheet film (depends on whether this kind of sheet film is still available), and roll film usage.

Thanks in advance, Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1210 APUG.jpg   IMG_1187 APUG.jpg   IMG_1192 APUG.jpg   IMG_1193 APUG.jpg   IMG_1197 APUG.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That looks like it'll be a fun little toy to play with...

Congrats and good luck making her sing again!

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Joe, I hope the pictures will help our knowledgeable fellows here to identify the camera, shootign formats and its usage details which would allow me to make na endeavor to bring it up ...:-)

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the number 12 you're seeing is unrelated to film -- if the camera used roll film, that would be visible in a film counter only if there were still film in the camera. If that's showing among the controls on the right side of the camera body, it almost looks as if you might have a focal plane shutter (currently set in "T" mode, that is, locked open, if the curtains are even still present). That camera might be an early counterpart of a Speed Graphic (focal plane shutters existed at least as early as 1909; Lartigue used one for the famous image of a very early race car with wheels slanting one way and background the other). The ruler might be for setting the slit width, which in combination with spring tension determines shutter speed.

The frame mask you measured looks like quarter plate, aka 3 1/4" x 4 1/4"; that wouldn't be hard to find film for (in at least a couple B&W emulsions), though film holders that fit that camera might be a little tricky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looking at the other images on your website, mainly this one, I would say that there is a good chance that your camera has (had?) a focal plane shutter. No clue how you would go about working though.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm convinced that is a focal plane shutter. The lens may not be original. Could be an Erneman, or maybe a Thornton Pickard. The washer-like nut on the hinge for the front door is similar to a Graflex part, but I don't think they made a 9x12.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is most definately a focal plane shutter system, albeit the cloth is now missing. You have the wind and release mechanism in place.
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you guys, your help is invaluable.
    I'm almost convinced about the focal plane shutter, except for the fact of the counter this I cannot get the point of.
    Well, I'm afraid I'll not have much use of this machine even if I'll be able to obtain one or more suitable sheet holders - I just don't shoot B&W (never did) and I doubt contemporary color stuff can be available for such format.
    Chances I'll offer the camera here on APUG as a trade for bag bellows for my Shen-Hao..(although its hard for me to estimate the real market value of this camera, I guess this kind of trade can be fair...)

Thanks once again, Alex

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexz
    ... I doubt contemporary color stuff can be available for such format...
    9x12cm is still a "contemporary format", and film availability is still good. At least in Germany. It's losing out to 4x5", but there's lots of films available!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But according to my measurements it seems more like 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 rather then 9x12cm.
    Moreover, have no idea where to get an appropriate holders from...
    Although, it seems I'll need shutter's CLA, don't know whether Compound shutter are CLAable in my country...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin