Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,916   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    For years I have been telling people that shoot 8x10 and larger to just STAY AWAY from all ball heads and quick release plates on their tripods. I see so many photographers that have really nice cameras, but feel the need to put them on these little wussy carbon fiber, ball tilt, quick release, tiny tripods! Its a bad idea and pointless!

I use a Ries Model-A tripod for all my cameras 4x5 and larger. For anything smaller, I will use a old Ries Model-C. Both with matching Ries heads.

Ryan McIntosh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philldresser
    glbeas,

I have a Cambo SC monorail which I use on a Manfrotto 075 base with a Uniloc 060 Ball Head. This has large square QR plates but the cambo has a small round base. Guess what? I always have trouble with the twisting that you mention. You just cant get enough grip there between the plate and the base. I thought of adding some glue at one point but never did.

Phill
    My Manfrotto base has a setscrew that you use to engage the ribs on the bottom of the head to lock out the twisting. Does yours have a tapped hole you can run a bolt up through?
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch
    I've been looking over the Manfrotto products for a little while as I'm planning to buy a new head for my tripod. I haven't used any of the recent high end ball heads only the light weight version that always slip. Are most of you using ball heads or 3-way tilts for your 8x10 and larger cameras?
    From my latest experience a good 3-way can't be beat.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc
    I have a 3047 head (i and some heavy legs, dont remember what model)
    I have the heavy tripod for my 8x10 seneca. And previosly ive only had the standard small hex plate. I just purchased a large 4x4" plate for it, and it has screws in various places on the plate. If I still have problems with the camera twisting, I can drill one or more catch holes on the base of the camera and use the screws to help secure it.

on the note of tightening, on all my hex qr plates, there is a metal ring between the plate and screw head that can also be used for tightening. I noticed on mine that there is a U-shaped channel in this ring. if you insert a screwdriver, allen wrench or other metal rod into this channel, you can really get some good torque on it.

i am allways afraid that on my wood cameras I will over-tighten and crush or splinter the wood. So i try to use only the force i need to. But its hard to say if that is really secure enough.
    Actually theres not much need to drill catch holes, the setscrew will make its own quite nicely, just a dimple but enough for the job.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    There's an even better third version. It is a 4" square flat plate with the hexagonal QR angles underneath. I believe this one also has the additional screws. This plate has more surface area for better contact and support with the bed of view cameras.

Joe
    This is a good choice for an LF camera and has the model number 030L, photo at

http://www.t4cameras.co.uk/index.asp...fo.asp?id=1414

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    8 # RH Phillips 8x10; Ries double tilt J 250, 16# capacity; Ries J 600 sticks, 16# capacity. Just bought a Ries Military A 100 on eBay yesterday for $279.99 for when the J 600 sticks aren't strong enough or a larger camera comes along. They do that you know? When you least expect them larger cameras just pop out of the closet and walk into the room. That is what I am telling my wife so she won't be surprised when a 7x17 shows up in two weeks. Do you think I have prepared her enough?

John Powers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch
    "Are most of you using ball heads or 3-way tilts for your 8x10 and larger cameras?"

Three way tilt
    Gitzo 1570M (I think) low profile mag, 3 way under my 6# 4x5
    Ries J250 double tilt under my 8# 8x10

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hey John,
    Oh I think she's going to notice a new 7x17 in the closet.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    "....or a larger camera comes along. They do that you know? When you least expect them larger cameras just pop out of the closet and walk into the room. That is what I am telling my wife so she won't be surprised when a 7x17 shows up in two weeks. Do you think I have prepared her enough?

John Powers"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch
    Hey John,
    Oh I think she's going to notice a new 7x17 in the closet.
    Yes, I was afraid of that. We have a lot of closets, but it is the popping out part that would probably do me in. I have found one of the fourteen 7x17 Dick Phillips made to go with my 810 Phillips Advantage. It, three film holders and a lot of film are scheduled to arrive when I get back from Toronto. I would have loved to have bought your Canham 7x17, but this package addressed the whole requirement at a price I could bear.

I admitted my latest sin to my wife last night assuring her that three of my 810 lenses would cover and at this time no additional lenses would be needed. This morning I am remarkably still alive and loved. She is a first grade teacher. They in general are tender and gentle people. The last four or five years she and four other fellow first grade teachers have gone to one of their parent's condos in Florida for Spring Break. The fact that I timed this admission to coincide with her return and its associated guilt may have helped.

John Powers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Not one person has said one thing about wooden tripods except the zone VI tripod. It is proven (believe it or not) in leica Magazine that wood dampens vibration more than any other type of tripod. If you are going to do LF or for sure ULF you need a wooden tripod with weight. The best is Ries tripods. they have several types and for 8x10 or larger you have to go with the big boy. Exposures are usually 1/2 sec to mins and a light weight tripods is going to get you nothing but movement. My friend puts a pan head ($600.00) on his tripod for the 8x10 and complains about vibration. I use the Ries head which has a 6" square platform and I put a thin piece of cork on top so keep any rotation form occuring when the 8x10 or the 8x20 is tilted.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin