Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,350   Online: 1112

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Frank, looks like a great deal to me. Which meter did you "select" with this deal, was it a nice, new digital spot meter? This sounds like an excellent way to work to me. All you need is a sturdy tripod and a trip out to shoot now. Want to see some prints! tim
    Tim,

Oh were it true! I am stuck yet with my Pentax 1/21 needle spot meter, but it could be worse. I think I now have a method of working around pegging the needle on high EV scenes. Working on just reading and getting comfortable with scene EV now.

The meter that came with this is a Toshiba; that is all I know. Never used a Toshiba light meter, guess I will know in a few days...

Oh and I have a tripod that you wouldn't believe, just have to get one foot on a leg recast in aluminum. I will post pictures when possible. It has a gear head, a 10" x 10" top plate and can easily hold me (250 lbs) without vibration or flexing.

Working on the processing tubes and I hope to start rolling prints out the door very soon.

Frank
    Last edited by Kino; 04-24-2006 at 04:04 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: redundant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Welcome. You're now standing at the top of the proverbial "slippery slope" with one foot on a banana peel. Better get used to the dog house. I've carpetted mine, installed an enlarger timer and a few trays. Plumbing next month....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino
    Well it was frightfully cheap, but I will still be in the dog house...

Calumet monorail with a Kodak 170mm, f6.3 lens, 3 holders and a light meter for $90.

You infected me with your disease.

I swear the dog just said "deardorf"...
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, and you were just idly strumming on the keyboard when you entered the bid.

Thing is, you're set now and don't have to buy anything else. Ever. Many of us here, me included, so don't anyone zing me for saying it, have too many lenses and cameras. One camera, one lens, one light meter, one semi-coherent vision.

And you got off very lightly. Very lightly indeed.

Good luck, have fun, don't look back,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, and you were just idly strumming on the keyboard when you entered the bid.
    It was the virtual equivalent of poking a tiger with a stick and getting too close...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Thing is, you're set now and don't have to buy anything else. Ever. Many of us here, me included, so don't anyone zing me for saying it, have too many lenses and cameras. One camera, one lens, one light meter, one semi-coherent vision.

And you got off very lightly. Very lightly indeed.

Good luck, have fun, don't look back,

Dan
    Ever?

Well, I don't think I will set the World on fire with that combo, but I probably wouldn't be able to with a tanker full of gasoline and a Sinar with a Nikkor lens either, so I shouldn't go denigrating the equipment!

Onward and downward ; it's a race to the bottom on that slippery slope.

Frank

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    "I swear the dog just said 'deardorf'"...

Frank,
    The kids are next. When my daughter who hates cars brought her son age three to visit from Denver I took him by the hand and walked him by my model collection and got him to say Porsche, Bugatti, Duesenberg, Ferrari... plant the seeds and the kids may defend you down the road, even peer over your shoulder and press the shutter release.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874

Frank,
    The kids are next. When my daughter who hates cars brought her son age three to visit from Denver I took him by the hand and walked him by my model collection and got him to say Porsche, Bugatti, Duesenberg, Ferrari... plant the seeds and the kids may defend you down the road, even peer over your shoulder and press the shutter release.

John Powers
    LOL. Good tactic! Thanks John!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nice buy Kino. My first LF camera was the B&J version of this camera. Great for normal to moderatly long lens. But I couldn't get much movement out of a 111mm lens. Never tried a 90mm but I think you would just get infinity focus with no movements.

I'm at work right now but think I have a lens board that you could have for postage or you could pick up if you are coming to the conference. PM me and I'll let you know when I get home.

Michael

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ...Well, I don't think I will set the World on fire with that combo, but I probably wouldn't be able to with a tanker full of gasoline and a Sinar with a Nikkor lens either, so I shouldn't go denigrating the equipment! ...
    A Xenar 300mm f:4.5 is much better for setting fire to things. Or anything else with an 80mm front glass, for that matter...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well it was frightfully cheap, but I will still be in the dog house...

Calumet monorail with a Kodak 170mm, f6.3 lens, 3 holders and a light meter for $90.

You infected me with your disease.

I swear the dog just said "deardorf"...
    Yes, and that $90.00 set-up can produce images that are much better than the most expensive MF cameras running into the thousands of dollars! (She needs to know this!)
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1
    Yes, and that $90.00 set-up can produce images that are much better than the most expensive MF cameras running into the thousands of dollars! (She needs to know this!)
    Very true, and the pictures can easily be better than I cold take with a $2000 Carbon LF camera and lenses in every focal length from 90mm to a whopping 500mm. Don't tell mywife, please...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin