Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,174   Online: 718

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Very true, and the pictures can easily be better than I cold take with a $2000 Carbon LF camera and lenses in every focal length from 90mm to a whopping 500mm. Don't tell mywife, please...
    Gee, I don't know, maybe we should bribe you to say nothing. Nahh, what am I thinking? I can get myself into the same boat at times.

Rich
    Last edited by naturephoto1; 04-25-2006 at 06:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

through the lens, dustily...

Got the beastie in today and had to spend about 3 hours cleaning it, but it appears to be a good little unit.

The set appears to have been stored under a darkroom sink and I wiped a score of oxidized puddles and dried rivulets of what smelled to be Ethol LPD off the outside of the standard Calumet carrying case. Luckily, nothing seems to have entered the case proper...

I took everything outdoors in the bright sun and removed the contents, scrubbed and vacuumed the case, took the ground glass off, lens board off and extended the bellows to maximum, tilted the camera down and blew out the interior. The bellows appear supple with only a hint here and there of stress fractures on the corners of the bellows.

Wonder if I should do some PM on it and put something on the cracks? Opinions?

I then took a cloth and mild detergent and cleaned the bellows while the 170mm Kodak lens cooked in the sun with the shutter cocked open on "T". I didn't see any fungus, but thought it couldn't hurt to hit it with some rays, seeing how it was stored up until now...

I then took a damp cloth and wiped every square inch of the camera, as it had a thin layer of very fine sand and dander over the entire unit (it was AS IS!). After that, I went through each film holder and had to spend about 20 minutes on each one before sand and dust stopped falling out of the grooves of the dark slides; dirt was everywhere!

Then, I disassembled the Kodak lens, cleaned the cells, checked the Ilex shutter (sounded fine), wiped it all down and put it together.

The toshiba light meter works fine after a good cleaning, but it is a wide-field reflective meter, so it goes to a friend who has a Fed 2 but no light meter.

After about 2 hours of playing with the rise, fall, swings, tilts and shifts, I must say I have my learning cut out for me. The 170mm lens seems a nice little lens, but I was a bit taken back by the limited amount of moves I could make before seeing the edge of the coverage.

Needless to say, I realized that there will be no, "running and gunning" with this camera.

I must say, I wish to HELL I had started this as a young man when my vision allowed me to focus my eyes closer than 3 feet without glasses. It sure makes working under the cloth a PIA to have to shift between eye glasses and a loupe, but I guess I'm not telling a lot of you anything.

Sorry to blather on, I'm sure its all old hat to you all.

Now, to buy a case, or at least a gross, of creativity...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Lens board

Frank

I dropped the lens board in the mail today. It is a home made board for a Compound shutter that has a sweet little Protar in it (I sent the board, not the lens). The hole measures 1.557 in. The fit was a little snug on my camera but definitely light tight. I hope you find a use for it.

No charge for the board or shipping. But if you want to do some thing, a contact print in the mail would be nice.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by m. dowdall
    Frank

I dropped the lens board in the mail today. It is a home made board for a Compound shutter that has a sweet little Protar in it (I sent the board, not the lens). The hole measures 1.557 in. The fit was a little snug on my camera but definitely light tight. I hope you find a use for it.

No charge for the board or shipping. But if you want to do some thing, a contact print in the mail would be nice.

Michael
    Michael,

Many thanks for sending me the lens board! Very generous of you to say the least...

I hope I can get a print off tonight; probably will be poor fare in return, but such is life!

Thanks again.

Frank

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin