Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,736   Posts: 1,515,503   Online: 1098

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

When did large format become 'large'

Back in the days, what we call 'large format' was actually the 'normal' format. and all those silly roll folms were the 'miniature' formats.

So does anyone have a clue as to when the public view of the 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10, and similar formats became too big and the 135 and 120 roll films went from being 'miniature' to 'normal'? I know some people here have hordes of old literature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would imagine, back about the time that Kodak came out with the Brownie Roll Film Cameras..

At least that is what some of the magazine articles I have refer to way back when.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There was a time when 4x5 was medium format. There is no date but the usefullness of smaller formats increased as film got better.

You would be better served to look at the milestones of film; thin-film, anti scatter dyes, tabular grain, two electron....
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always thought that Large format became large when Leica put 35mm cine film in a camera and called it miniature.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    April 3, 1947.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    April 3, 1947.
    david would know.... he used to work for the IRS.

lol

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe that it became large when A. Adams first used expanded development.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    When I started buying lenses for it

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    1959. Intro Nikon F
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The consensus a century ago was that 8x10 was the smallest "professional" size, the smaller ones were "amateur." Early rollfilm wasn't as good as dryplate, so I would gather that large format in the modern sense (sheet film at 6x9cm or bigger) emerged as consumer photography abandoned plate cameras for rollfilm. There's probably not a specific date, but I would guess you could see the change by the mid-1930s where the Leica and Argus cameras establish a lasting market for 35mm and German TLRs and improved rollfilm give "professional" quality results. (Just remembered: Dorothea Lange used a 4x5 most of the time for her WPA work. One of her coworkers--I can't remember who--had a Rollei. So I guess by the late 1930s pro photographers are using medium format for government work. Maybe that's the date for the introduction of "large format.")
    Here endeth my $.02 lesson.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin