Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,117   Online: 808

Images

240 f-9 G claron aperature scale question

I got my G/claron in the mail and the aperature scale is a piece of clear plastic with F stops going from 9-90 over the previous aperature scale. This is usable but I want to know how to test whether this home made scale is correct.

Has anyone had SKgrimes do an aperature scale and how much was it?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have had 2 shutters engraved by SKGrimes in the past. They did a great job on each. The website talks about how much it is. I opted to have the engraving done on the shutter and not on plates. Seems it was about $45.

lee\c

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would check the accuracy of any scale by measuring the apparent diameter of the diaphram opening from the front of the lens. Divide this figure into the focal length to get the f/number. To avoid parallax, your eye should be some distance from the lens, or should be moved by about the diameter of the aperture so you are looking directly into the lens, not at a slight angle. There are other ways which are unnecessarily precise.

Images
    how do you measure the diameter
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mark,

I've also had S.K. Grimes set up an aperture scale on one of my lenses... they did a great job and the end result was beautiful.

I couldn't recommend them highly enough for this kind of work.

Sorry, I can't recall what they charged me for the job.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    As Jim says, you sight from a distance at the front aperture, through the front lens cell. Lay a mm rules across the front cell. Set the aperture control against the f-stop mark that you want to check. You want to sight from a distance large compared to the distance from the aperture to the ruler. Then just to read the two mm values at the edges of the aperture and take the difference to get the diameter.

For f9, the aperture blades should have just cut into the circular opening -- at least that's how my 270 mm G-Claron works. As Jim said, the diameter should be focal length divided by f-number. So 240 mm / f9 gives 27 mm, 240 mm / f16 gives 15 mm, etc. When I just tried measuring my 270 mm G-Claron (factory shutter), the diameter values that I obtained by sighting a ruler agreed to within one mm of the expected values from the aperture setting.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    A transparent plastic ruler works well. Rulers with graduations printed on flat plastic work better than the ones with the graduations molded in.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin