Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,881   Online: 1025

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    You should be able to test for leaks with a bright flashlight inside the camera in the darkroom. Save the film.
    This is exactly how I discovered my error and leak. I put a film holder in as I normally did, made the room dark, removed the lens, stuck a flashlight inside the camera and saw quite clearly where the light was. Sticking the film holder in the other way fixed the problem right away. In any event, this method would show where the leak was.
    Neal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've removed all felt from the back, inserted a film holder and checked it with a flashlight. I still have light leaks at the bottom corners of the back... Any suggestions besides buying a new back? Is their another material I could glue in the groves or a special felt I should be using? I can't wait to start shooting again. Thanks. Shawn

I recently got a C1. It had thick felt in the groove, thick enough that the holder and GG frame were held away from the metal. The felt at the hinge end of the holder had been mashed crooked, holding the GG and holder at an angle. Since the holder and frame are shaped differently, the angle they were held away from the metal was different. So the focus was different. And the holder was at angle enough to let light in along the sides. Maybe why the seller got rid of the camera. I removed the felt and put in strips of black velvet. The velvet is just thick enough so that the fibers stick above the plane of the metal, but thin enough so that the holder and GG frame push the fibers down and the holder and GG frame contact the metal. I used black silicone to glue the velvet in. I masked the edge of the groove with masking tape so the silicone didn't get all over, used a little brush to put silicone in the groove, and also on the back of the velvet strips. Set the strips in place and held it with a holder till it cured. I cut a step in the strip ends so they interlock, stopping any light trying to get in at the corners. I also put a narrow strip at the bottom of the groove the holder ridge fits in, that might not be neccessary. I thought of using double sticky tape (permenance?) or contact cement (hard to reposition). Don't use silicone if you want to do any painting, a trace of silicone prevents paint from sticking.
    Jim Galvin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galvin
    I removed the felt and put in strips of black velvet. The velvet is just thick enough so that the fibers stick above the plane of the metal, but thin enough so that the holder and GG frame push the fibers down and the holder and GG frame contact the metal. I used black silicone to glue the velvet in.
    That's a good idea Jim. I have a green C-1 and no trouble yet with light leaks. My 8X10 back looks good but I will check the 5X7 and 4X5 backs. I guess this would definitely mess up the focus..

--John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin