Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,602   Online: 1338

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Calumet C1 question

I own a C1 and am having problems with my 8x10 back leaking a bit of light around the film holder. My model has a bit of felt on the fixed section of the back that the film holder rests against. It looks like this felt was added to the camera. My 4x5 back for this camera is similar, has no felt and doesn't leak.

My question: Is the 8x10 back supposed to have felt or should the film holder sit against the metal?

Thanks. Shawn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You are putting it in on the wrong side. I did the same thing with my c1.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Shawn,

I too have a C-1. Mine has a thin layer of felt in a recessed grove that runs the perimeter of the back. I've never experienced a problem. The felt is thin and does not protrude above the surface of the back. However, I have a B&J 5x7 which has no felt strip and I have never had an problem with it either.

Alan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
    You are putting it in on the wrong side. I did the same thing with my c1.
    Don't feel bad. Me too. Took me two sessions and ten sheets of HP5 to figure this out.
    Nea

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure I understand... Do you mean the felt should be on the part of the back with the glass? The groove should be empty and the felt should touch the back of the filmholder? Thanks. Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Davenport
    "... I too have a C-1. Mine has a thin layer of felt in a recessed grove that runs the perimeter of the back.... I have a B&J 5x7 which has no felt strip and I have never had an problem with it either..."
    Hmmm. I have a B&J 4x5 that does have felt in the recessed grooves you described for your C-1. The grooves (and felt) are on the back section with the GG.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll take a look at my C1 when I get home, but I don't recall it having any felt on the 8x10 back anywhere.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, it does have felt. I think maybe some are thinking you are inserting the film holder from the wrong end, and that the ridge of the film holder is not seating in the slot?

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu
    Hi, it does have felt. I think maybe some are thinking you are inserting the film holder from the wrong end, and that the ridge of the film holder is not seating in the slot?

Jon
    Thanks everybody.

No, I am not inserting the film holder incorrectly. The ridge on the film holder fits nicely into the slot, it's actually the other end where I am having the light problem. I was trying to find a consensus reguarding felt or no felt... I'm thinking of removing the felt entirely and exposing a few sheets. Any further recomendations are appreciated. Thanks. Shawn
    Last edited by Shawn Dougherty; 04-28-2006 at 07:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should be able to test for leaks with a bright flashlight inside the camera in the darkroom. Save the film.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin