Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,915   Online: 1044

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Well… I Guess it is a Petzval After All

I recently received a box of lenses. I examined each one to determine the lens type and clean them. After unscrewing the outer ring on one of them I found the lenses would not fall out as was typical. Then I noticed that the lenses were set in the tube crooked; they were jammed in place. I was pretty sure this lens was a petzval design but I could not tell for sure. And if the lenses were mounted in a crooked fashion, than they would give odd results. It was difficult looking through the glass to see if there was a ring that separated the elements. So I decided that the lenses needed a little persuasion from the rear to force them out. Repeated pressure applications did nothing. I decided that more force was necessary. I was concerned about chipping the glass around the rim where it met the tube if I did something wrong; but this old glass tended to be rather thick.

So I took a piece of wood to act on the rear of the lens. Tapping on the lens did not budge it, harder tapping did not budge it, but even harder tapping finally got results! As I examined the destruction I noticed that I busted just the inner lens (oh, now I remember, the air spaced elements are not thick like the cemented elements, actually they have rather thin edges). I then was able to confirm that this indeed had been a petzval lens.

I never did budge that crooked outer lens.

If anyone wants a lens tube and mounting ring with two of the three elements from a petzval lens its available for $10 plus shipping.

Sigh…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails broken_petzval.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Doh!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Wait! Test it first. You may have just invented the ultimate retro soft focus lens!

Next thing you know, people will pay hundreds for old projector lenses with one broken element.

Images
    Has Jim read this? SHould we get the smelling salts?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mounting flanges are highly sought-after items. I happen to know as I need one myself in the oddball size of 96.5mm and a metric size of 1 (european). What size is yours? (I mean the flange) And does it come off the tube or it that one piece I see on the pic?
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I was able to remove the mounting flange from the tube. It is 55mm in diameter. The closest thread size is approximately 32TPI.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What a shame. I did something similar once (about 10 years ago)... and I still can't bring myself to talk about it. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's not that bad. I've fixed lots worse with a little glue then sold on Ebay.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    It's not that bad. I've fixed lots worse with a little glue then sold on Ebay.

Gosh Jim, it would take me a long time to glue all that glass back together. Might not be worth the trouble. Do you think the new buyer would notice?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin