Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,018   Online: 667

Thread: LF lens info

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

LF lens info

Does someone have tech info on the Fujinon L 420mm Tessar-design lens ? I just purchased one (for use on the 8x10 I am expecting -[no, I'm not pregnant]-) and want to know more on it (angle of coverage, image circle etc).

Since I had an unexpected extra to pay for it (import taxes), I ended up paying a total of 540 euro. Was it too much ? It's in top shape, though... :-(

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George,

You can check on Kerry Thalmann's website under Fujinon lenses. Accordingly this is from Kerry's site:

"4. Ditto on the L series. The 300mm and 420mm L series lenses were discontinued back in mid-1982. It was during this same time period that the C series was introduced. The L series was Fujis low cost, entry level line. The 300mm and 420mm L lenses were both in big, relatively expensive Copal #3 shutters. When the EBC multicoated 300mm and 450mm C series models came out in mid-1982, in smaller, cheaper Copal #1 shutters, there was little reason to continue offering the 300mm and 420mm single coated L models in spendy #3 shutters. So, I think it's fairly safe to assume neither of these models were ever offered with EBC multicoatings. With no alternative in the C line, the 210mm f5.6 was the lone member of the L series to survive past mid-1982. It is still listed in the DA.OE. Industries Price List dated March 2, 1988. I am currently lacking official Fujinon literature between 1983 and 1996, so I'm not sure exactly when the 210mm L was discontinued, or if it was ever manufactured with EBC multicoatings. Again, if you have a 210mm Fujinon L, could you check the coatings and let me know if it appears to be multicoated"

You will have to find your way to the Fujinon Lenses, here is the website:

http://www.thalmann.com/

I believe that the Fujinon f12.5 450mm C may have been a better choice.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Try here: http://members.aol.com/subgallery/ for lots of information on Fujinon lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 420 L is a VERY sharp lens in Tessar design--I use it for 8x10 Portraiture at f 16 or f 22 (my preferred aperture for this lens) and it is my favorite and sharp sharp sharp--man is it sharp !! another plus---it takes standard 67 mm filters and I even use my Hasselblad shade on it--a fabulous choice for 8x10---Coverage--well I know it covers 11x14 at f/11 and I noticed no falloff in sharpness on a contact print so plenty of movement on 8x10 --A very good lens but then did Fuji even make any bad glass ? $500 typical here in the US
    Congratulations--if you gave a little much--well, too late now and you have a fine lens for your trouble!!
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you all, the links provided were very informative Rich and Dave, thank you Joseph for your encouraging thoughts... I'll now wait to test the lens (I've already mounted it on a board for my 4x5 but I guess that real testing will start when I get the 8x10)...

Cheers

George

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin