Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,317   Online: 866

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adams had a Travelall?! I need proof of this!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by egdinger
    He had a platform that I believe was moved from vehicle to vehicle (including a Cadallic!) as he wore the cars out. Page 228 of Ansel Adams Letters and Images edited by Mary Street Alinder and Andrea Gray Stillman, shows a platform on top of a station wagon which I can't identify. His famous Mount Williamson, Sierra Nevada, from Manzanar, California, 1945 on page 261 was taken from a platform on an unidentified car. It gave him about a 12 foot high vantage point. I use a platform on the topper on my pickup for the same purpose. Another way of getting elevation is to add a couple of legs to a ladder to make a tripod. It looks like Darius Kinsey didn't have that feature on his tall tripod.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by egdinger
    Bingo! Page 63 of his Camera and Lens from the 1970 five volume set, shows Adams with 8x10 on the platform on top of his Travelall. He says in the caption that the platform had been used on four previous cars. A google search for Ansel Adams +Travelall leads to other images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In a previous incarnation we used a platform on a GM van to shoot stills and video all the time. Worked great to get a little elevation.
    At one time Cambo sold a three leged latter with a tripod head on the top.

Bart

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When shooting from a platform atop a vehicle, wedging props between the frame and ground eliminate much of the problem of a swaying platform.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bart Nadeau
    At one time Cambo sold a three leged latter with a tripod head on the top.

Bart
    I think that's called an "orchard ladder." Steve Simmons recommended them somewhere over on lfphoto.info.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones
    When shooting from a platform atop a vehicle, wedging props between the frame and ground eliminate much of the problem of a swaying platform.

I sometimes had to shoot from the roof of my car – without props – but then it was a Volvo! Normally there is a range of answers depending on how high you need to go: from standing on your camera case right up to hiring a hydraulic hoist which I did for one job (but only MF). It was then I discovered I suffered from vertigo.

I used to have a no.3 Compur Electronic shutter – great for timed exposures up to 30 seconds, but, since it was mostly used in the studio with electronic flash, an unnecessary complication. Quite apart from the battery problem they are virtually impossible to get fixed if they go belly-up. My advice is to avoid like the plague...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was an International Harvester, built almost as well as their tractors. Pat
    [SIZE=2]Shadow Catcher[/SIZE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by p krentz
    It was an International Harvester, built almost as well as their tractors. Pat
    I know, I happen to have one sitting in my driveway. Thats why I was so curious, they are often wrongly identified. And now that I think about it would make a good shooting platform, hmmm...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin