Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,048   Online: 752

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Mechanica vs. electronic shutter / Getting a higher vantage point / Book lead

Dear friends,

I'd like to hear your opinions about any of these issues.

About the mechanical/electronic shutter, I have used mechanical cameras all my life and prefer them. Now I have the chance to get a wide angle lens with an electronic shutter and was wondering if there are some special LF nuances that one should take into consideration, or on the other hand are we just dealing with the usual pros and cons of mechanical/electronic equipment.

Also, I was wondering what solutions users adopt when they need to get a higher vantage point to shoot LF (and using an external source is not an option, i.e. going into an adjoining building, climbing a hill, etc.) For handheld use I might even consider using a ladder but I don't know how it would work with LF, and scaffolding seems a little excessive!

Third, anyone ever hear of a book by Anouk De Wit called "Architectural Diary - Architectural Photography"? I have yet been able to find a copy and wonder if it is really worth hunting for.

Best.

Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As far as I know electronic shutters require a bulky external unit for timing/power.

What kind of shutter is it? If the lens is cheap enough you could always get one on ebay that it will screw in to. I think the mells grott stuff is ilex size(but check first!)

Quote Originally Posted by foto-r3
    Dear friends,

About the mechanical/electronic shutter, I have used mechanical cameras all my life and prefer them. Now I have the chance to get a wide angle lens with an electronic shutter and was wondering if there are some special LF nuances that one should take into consideration, or on the other hand are we just dealing with the usual pros and cons of mechanical/electronic equipment.

Mark
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Ilex shutters require a big external controller box.

There are a few electronic copals out there that have a little battery compartment attached that ive heard good things about. They are reputed to be very accurate and they have a wider range of speeds than mechanical shutters. But i've never used them myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an electronic Copal on my Korona. I found the battery box can be removed and the battery relocated to the back of the lensboard. I also found you can run the shutter on two AAA batteries, getting rid of the ridiculously expensive and hard to find battery it originally used.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm just getting into LF but to me, they don't make a lot of sense on LF cameras unless you absolutely need very high shutter speed precision. With E6 film it can be a good thing, but if you can get good accurate exposures on E6 with a mechanical shutter already then the need is obviated.

In 35mm, electronic shutters are a godsend (they are of greatest value with the very high shutter speeds, 1/500 and higher, speeds that LF shooters often don't even have and very rarely use). Despite that, mechanically-shuttered cameras are still attractive because of their increased utility in severe cold (where batteries tend to fail).

Mechanical shutters seem more than good enough to me for large format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh they are quite good enough, but the beauty of the electronic shutter I have is not the accuracy but the fact I can set a time up to 32 seconds on it. Thats really nice!
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And here I thought that counting elephants (or Mississippis or whatever) was part of the experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim
    And here I thought that counting elephants (or Mississippis or whatever) was part of the experience.
    That would work if I could spell Missislippi.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A ladder and a tall tripod like a Majestic are one way to get a high vantage point when you just need to get above the cars. Architectural photographers who work in cities do rent portable scaffolds when necessary. I had a Majestic that went up at least 12 feet. It had a set of extension legs and a rapid column inside a geared column. I never used it at that height, but I would think it would require stabilizing the camera at the top, say with a Bogen Magic Arm between the top of the column or the camera and the ladder.

I sold the Majestic to George Losse, so if he sees this, maybe he'll have some insight.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ST.Ansel used to use a 1/4 inch thick aluminiun plate on the top of his Traval-all. Pat
    [SIZE=2]Shadow Catcher[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin