Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,839   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New toy.. gulp!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

New toy.. gulp!

Well, I just won a Zone VI 8x10 field camera on ebay. This was my first time using sniping software to buy something, and I guessed right on my max bid. That was financially painful, but I'd rather spend the money on the camera and be able to get out and shoot than stare all day at my Calumet C1 sitting in my living room on its tripod, not getting any use because it's a pain to lug around. I'm surprised the Zone VI's didn't do better in the marketplace- I guess it was a case of right camera at wrong time- minimum 3" bellows, max 38". Now I can do true 1:1 macro with my 14" commercial Ektar, and then some, and maybe even use my 600mm Apo-Germinar (with a front-mounted Packard) if it won't rip the front standard off the camera from the weight.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had a bid on that. Very nice. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have fun with it. There's just something about looking at the big screen under the dark cloth.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ralph- I'm already an 8x10 addict - love the format. Yeah- there's something quite special about that giant groundglass- like watching TV, but better, because it IS reality! And it's upside down and backwards too! Now I'll have one I can actually travel around with, and will fit in known backpacks/carrying cases.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ground Glass / TV......believe me, I know the feeling I am always in awe, when I set the 8x10 up, there is just something about looking at the back of the camera when all it good!!!

Congrats, have a ball with it, we expect pictures!

Dave

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    My 8x10 feels quite natural in that respect. Not quite the spontaneity of a 35, but it has it's perks.

Anything bigger seems to be work. One has to do this kind of waddle from side to side to see what the ground glass has in it.

You should get a nikkor 120mm and see if your bellows will run it as well.

Congrats
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Congratulations! Sounds like a fine combination and just in time for summer!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Robert- I don't have a 120 (after buying this, it isn't in the budget!) but I do have a Wolly 159mm F12. I know the camera will handle the 159 at infinity, if the minimum is 3". I should be able to focus a 90mm to infinity with 3" minimum bellows (no movements mind you). I'm now getting visions of making a 4x10 reducing back or a 5x12 expansion back to use with it.

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats Scott!!! I know you will enjoy it.

Regards,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bill- I'm going to bring it to our next Mid-Atlantic APUG get-together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin